Pemigewasset Loop in a Day?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgkula

Reaction score
Is there a name for the loop that starts at Lincoln Woods visitor's center, goes up Franconia Ridge, crosses Garfield to Galehead Hut and then on to Guyot and Bond to descend the Bondcliff back to Lincoln Woods?

Is it doable in one (long) day? I think it is 23 miles or so - I have done most of it in part but never in one push.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
David

I've called that the "western Pemi ridge loop" -- as opposed to the "western Pemi loop" (Owl's Head circumambulation along the interior valleys) or any of the loops involving the eastern Pemi (east of the Bonds).

I've done the western ridgewalk in a long day, though the exit out the Wilderness Trail was in darkness. Maps seem to underemphasize the ups and downs along the north ridge of the western Pemi lobe.

The Pemi Loop is a bit over 33 miles and has about 9,400 feet of elevation gain (and loss). It can (and has) been done by quite a few folks on this BB in one day. A long hard day but still a day.

JohnL

it's about 30 miles with about 9000' elevation gain - i met a girl doing it one time when i was on the bonds - she started out early - judging by the time that we saw her, i would say that she made it out before dark.

Pemi-Loop

It's over 31 miles actually with the eight summits, there was another thread about this recently. The Garfield ridge is the toughest section of this loop in my opinion.

dgkula said:
Is there a name for the loop that starts at Lincoln Woods ...
I've heard both "Pemi Loop" and "The Lollipop" used as names. The short section of the Wilderness Trail that is done twice is the "stick" of the lollipop, the loop is the candy.

Yeah, agreed it's in the 30-32 mile range. i did it in winter conditions (post holing most of the route in early november one year) in 2 days. I LOVE this loop. It's tougher than the presi traverse by a lot and in some respects better.

thanks for asking...i was just thinking about something to do and you gave me an idea :)