picture TR: Faith, Hope, and Charity 7/7/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el-bagr

Reaction score
Executive summary: I went skiing in Tuckerman Ravine yesterday. 3 hours on snow, then I looped up through the alpine garden to Glen Boulder and back on the Direttissima. Trails used: Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Lawn Cutoff, Boott Spur Trail, Davis Path, Glen Boulder Trail, Direttissima. If you don't like inline images, please feel free to turn them off or to stop reading here.

Faith:
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

Mid-July is upon is. I haven't skied since June. Time to test my faith.
209PICT00101-med.JPG

With all that water coming over the little headwall, there must be something up there.

Hope:
1 archaic : TRUST, RELIANCE
2 a : desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment <came in hopes of seeing you>; also : expectation of fulfillment or success <no hope of a cure> b : someone or something on which hopes are centered <our only hope for victory> c : something hoped for

It was 43 degF and raining on the summit at 0700 when I headed out on foot. Within an hour, I was guzzling Gatorade on the porch at Hojos under the bluest of skies. I watched a raven circling over the Boott Spur gullies, quorking as it swooped.

209PICT00091-med.JPG

That's enough snow for some sliding, but I hope there's more than meets the eye.

Charity:
1 : benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
2 a : generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need b : an institution engaged in relief of the poor c : public provision for the relief of the needy
3 a : a gift for public benevolent purposes b : an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
4 : lenient judgment of others

Climbing above the little headwall, I see that indeed, there is.

209PICT00271-med.JPG

It's fairly heavily undermined -- severely undermined on the upper left, middle right, and central snout, but this patch generously serves up a few lines.

209PICT00331-med.JPG

Twenty seconds of sliding, two minutes of awkward rock-scrambling in T1s. Repeat thirty times, as a turkey vulture glides silently over the waterfalls above.
209PICT0031-med.JPG

Then head over to thank Hope and Faith for their perseverance.
209PICT0044-med.JPG

Faith (the one in the middle) is steeper but badly undermined. Hope is in better shape, but is fading too. Both were good for a few kind turns. Still, these days, Charity is our best bet.

It's too nice to head back to work. Better to go for a stroll through our presidents. Mr. Washington:
209PICT0107-med.JPG

Last edited:
Mr. Monroe:
209PICT0099-med.JPG

Though clouds may shroud them, they will always be there, until they are carried away as the sand over which we paddle and surf.

209PICT0108-med.JPG

Indeed, Mr. Monroe is already showing a seahorse over Oakes Gulf. (The "seahorse route" is more obvious in winter, particularly from Montalban Ridge.)

209PICT0147-med.JPG

Not another human in sight up here. Just me, the alpine gardens, and the bugs.
209PICT0162-med.JPG

The Gulf of Slides looks lower-angle from here.

209PICT0170-med.JPG

Rocky ridges line up like gnarled knuckles of an ancient hand.

209PICT0186-med.JPG

The Gulf's southerly kid brother doesn't want to be left out of the picture.

209PICT0204-med.JPG

Glen Boulder, the size of a large lean-to, sits watch over the notch below.

209PICT0211-med.JPG

Another beautiful day in the mountains. Hope, Faith, and Charity will always reward us -- if only we believe.

Nice pictures, snow is fading fast. Did you ski the ravine in 1997? I hiked up in early July 97' and was amazed at how much snow was left and how many people were up there skiing.

How sweet it is........very nice trip report with photos. How many days till the first day of winter :p
Can't wait

some nice pics! thanks for posting them.