Pitcher Mountain (Stoddard, NH) with a toddler

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
I've wanted to share my passion for the outdoors with my 2.5 year old Li'l Puckette hoping she will love and respect nature as much as I do. I've been searching for a family friendly, gradual incline hike to a rewarding destination. I didn't want to overwhelm her with one of my crazy adventures but choose a softer location with hopes of enjoyment and a "lets do it again response". Stoddard's Pitcher Mountain came to mind due to it's proximity to home and open summit with fire tower.

From the parking area on Rt 123 I had the option to take the 0.3 mile trail with slightly steeper inclines or a 0.4 mile fire road. I chose the shorter and steeper route thinking the 0.6 miles round trip would be easier than the 0.8 miles round trip. We started off strong but the terrain soon became a bit too rough for her little legs and I ended up carrying Li'l Puckette on my shoulders most of the way.

85cebfd8-ef96-4c9e-944d-c572be5c55eb.jpg

Ascent only took 15-20 minutes giving us plenty of time to explore the summit. Li'l Puckette explored the rocks, explored the fire tower, and enjoyed the magical wonders of nature like blowing dandilyon seeds into the wind that only a child can appreciate.

594d7c6e-0cf6-4e12-822d-c97ad902594b.jpg

d860ec79-9a6e-42aa-8462-d3cef1d556a9.jpg

After nearly an hour at the summit I chose to descent the longer fire road. I started off with Li'l Puckette on my shoulders and after a few hundred feet was very surprised to hear "Daddy, I wanna walk". Together we sang songs and walked the fire road back to the car.

98d34973-ef14-4e9c-a394-0659fa475f1c.jpg

A very successful first hike and my little girl never ceases to amaze me!

Last edited:
Nice report on Stoddard

Living in the area I'm sure you know about the huge expanses of blueberry's up there. Be sure to come back in August with her for that. The picture of your daughter wth the dandylion is a treasure. Thanks for sharing!