places for a dreary day in Concord NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Concord Pine Barrens
I set out for the Concord Pine Barrens, on this raw & chilly day (cloudy & windy, mid to upper 30s F). This is not a place for the faint of heart, for several reasons... There were large numbers of deer ticks hanging out today; at some point there seems to be a kind of "tick equilibrium" where, on average, just as many ticks are swept off your pants legs as are swept onto them, especially in some areas where the pitch pines turned to cherry/birch/raspberry bramble thickets, a pain to get through. That and some odd noises of wind screaming across some open areas, and sounds of gunshots & a few other reasons I'll keep to myself.

I'm not going to say much else, this is one of those places that probably aren't meant to be visited. Anyway it's still way early and the only thing in bloom was 1 branch of a pussy willow, which I didn't expect (willows like wet soil, pine barrens = dry, well drained :confused: ), but it was nice to see something pleasant.

Also saw a small odd-looking dead plant w/ open seed capsules, not sure but think it was a Lechea (pinweed).

Merrimack River Conservation Area Floodplain Forest
Afterwards I went over to the Concord Conservation Floodplain trails. These are at SPNHF's Concord headquarters, and they are a fitting backdrop for the organization. Despite being a rabid SPNHF supporter for several years, and despite visiting the HQ buildings a few times, I'd never taken the time to walk the trails. My mistake.

This is a nice mix of natural communities along the floodplain of the Merrimack River. In fact, it's one of the areas chosen for a brochure by the NH Natural Heritage Bureau. The brochure does a good job commenting on most aspects of the botany so I won't repeat much of it.

If you've never seen silver maples (Acer saccharinum) in their native habitat (vs. in people's yards), this is probably the best (or at least most accessible) place in the state to see them. (except for maybe I-93 between exits 13 and 14, where you can see them whizzing by) Now is a nice time since the buds have just bloomed & it added a rose color to what otherwise was a gray and dreary day.

The trout lilies have sprouted leaves, no buds yet but it's a good sign, also some other plants that I'm not positive of the ID but am looking forward to coming back here in a few weeks. Lots of horsetails & other interesting plants, including, unfortunately, some invasives: loads of barberry, some Japanese knotweed, and burning bush, which has these odd wood ribs along the stems:

There's a beaver dam across the lower section of Mill Brook toward the eastern end of the property, & they've been pretty active recently (lots of gnawed trees).

I think the nicest part of it is that there are several different types of natural community in close proximity (floodplain, old fields, pine plantation, pond). Well worth a visit if you're in the area & have an hour or two to enjoy the outdoors.

Nice picutres! Thanks for reminding me that spring really is a nice time of year. It's amazing how much color and beauty you can find it you take the time to look for it. :) I'll have to venture that way sometime and check it out.

-MEB

Spring is in the air

Jason..cool pics...the Easter Bunny is just around the corner.

back again Wed 4/26

back at the SPNHF center yesterday, not too much in bloom yet... loads of trout lilies:

saw one or two shadbush (I think)

and some more whatsits:

Geum ?

something from the carrot family? (not the semicircular leaves, those are kidney-leaved buttercups, Ranunculus abortivus)

a whatsit tree that I should probably know. Saw two of these, w/ large (1" long x 3/8" wide") buds. Trees too small to ID by bark. Possibly ash or hickory or something.

Just glancing at the pic of the branch at the very bottom of your report Jason, and the bud scars are saying Butternut to me, ummmm, I think :confused: ..... That was the first thing that popped into my head but it's been a long time since I had to ID that one, so I could be way off .... The branch looks a bit slim to me, but the bud scars do seem right. I'll have to pull out one of my guides and refresh my memory. Never seen this one in bud, either, and when I learned my NE flora, I did so in winter, so we used mostly buds, bud scars and overall shape and appearance.
I've always had the pine barrens on my list and hope to get there sometime. Interesting habitat and a rare community in that area, for certain.
Thanks for sharing your TR and pictures :).