planets after sunset next weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
The VFTT will include three planets (Saturn, Venus, Mercury) low in the WNW direction, just after sunset. If your camping someplace with a nice sunset view, there will be an added treat.

forestnome said:
The VFTT will include three planets (Saturn, Venus, Mercury) low in the WNW direction, just after sunset. If your camping someplace with a nice sunset view, there will be an added treat.

Wow, and at Sunset, 6/26, Mercury and Venus are so close together, you might not be able to see poor little Mercury in the glare of Venus!

Update: Wed. night we had great viewing from the top of a small hill. We could see all 4 planets (Jupiter is up too) quite easily.

If anyone cares, there is an astronomy club in my area (Poughkeepsie, NY) that meets regularly, outdoors and indoors. All our events are free.

http://mhaa.whodeanie.com

Shadowcat, thanks for the link! Very cool! Just added it to my favorites.

Tom Rankin, glad to know you're looking up and involved in an astronomy club. The night sky is extra special deep in the forest, or even up on a peak. I'm planning on a late hike up Mt Chocorua to shoot/enjoy the planets one of these nights. From there, they'll be setting over a nice mountainous horizon. :)