Plastic Boots - A very Merry Christmas!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
Let the new Christmas gear list begin! A what a merry day! Got plastic boots this year...

Ok, now that I finally have my winter boots, I need tips for wearing them as well as getting used to slogging long miles in these things...

What is your best tip about plastics?

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
well merry christmas to you!!

I am taking a taking a break from opening kids presents....

ok - take them out a "short" hike to make sure they fit well - I didn't really have to break mine in - but some do. don't tighten them so much as you cut off circulatioin to your feet - I keep mine pretty loose (inner boot a bit tighter and outer boot looser) unless ice climbing or steep snow climbing.

if you get the boot bang/shin bang on the shin - loosen the boot a bit up top or pad the shin with something - this sucks - I got this with a rented pair of aslolos prior to buying my koflachs - so you may of may not get the boot bang.

you will love them- brush mud off at end of trip and thats it - no waterproofing, etc... you will have them for years. Death to leathers in winter!!

plastic boots, great to have

all that I would add to previous advice is to also get-step in crampons for the plastic boots, and get these all set up before you hit the trails. THen when it's time to put them on, all you do is, literally, step in, and you don't have to do all that adjusting and lacing etc with tie-on crampons. Same with snowshoes, if you can set them up to fit your plastic boots beforehand, do.

I used to get that shin bang effect (I have Koflachs, old now, from maybe 10 years ago?) but my legs got used to it after a while and it also helps to have longer thicker socks.

I would never go winter hiking in leather boots, I don't know how people do that without freezing.

Have fun, and be careful.

I think there was a pretty recent thread about getting used to "shin bang" and the best ways to tie plastic boots. I would only add that you should certainly "build up" to wearing the boots for extended hikes. I bought some used, old (ten years?) and, thus, heavier Koflachs and I rushed into wearing them on a tough 12 mile dayhike and damaged my knees with their extra weight. Can't say I'm keen to going back to wearing them and, in fact, would probably consider using supergaiters (such as the OR X-gaiters) with my Columbia Bugataboos before hauling on the Frankenstein boots but I realise that the plastics are a good idea for planned and unplanned overnighters.

carla said:
I would never go winter hiking in leather boots, I don't know how people do that without freezing.

It helps to have the proper boots. I use 800gm Danner's, in which my feet have never been cold (even standing around at -35°F), and I like how the sole, while very stout, will partially conform to the rocks and terrain, yet still allow me to dig my own steps easily. I have worn them for days with no problems getting cold or bulking up with moisture, and they are waterproof to the tongue valley, which is pretty high. While they flex a little much for true vertical ice, I have no problem climbing vertical bulges 10' high with them, and they are great on anything slightly off-vertical as they won't tear your calves up. :(

I have tried plastic boots for hiking, and after wearing the leathers, just can't go back. While they are great for steep ice, I just prefer the leather for everyday use. :)

try them with...

Plastics are the way to go, but before you wear them outside, better check to make sure they will fit your snowshoe bindings and also your gaitors. I got new snowshoes for Christmas (total surprize!) :) but the bindings don't work well with my Koflach boots. So now I will have to exchange the snowshoes. Earlier I also had to exchange my "crocodiles" for a larger pair so they would fit better. :(

Carla,

This has been covered ad naseum of late, but since it seems to be a question, here is how people (me) do that without freezing:

First, just because they are leather doesn't mean they aren't for winter. Don't mistake a pair of Hi-Tec leather boots with a pair of Solomon (for example). My leather upper boots have a full plastic rand around the botton, making them fully step-in crampon compatible.

Second, my boots have fully leather-lined, making them the most form fitting and comfortable things on my feet.

Third, I have always worn the exact same things on my feet in them: Just a pair of VBL socks. Other than that...just bare feet. This ensures the best fit and comfort for how I fit my boots.

Fourth, since my feet are in VBLs, the inside stays 100% dry. Therefore, no freezing of the boots. When I'm hiking, my feet don't get cold since they are properly fitted, dry boots and I have room to move my toes.

When camping, I wear camp booties anyway so the boots come off. Again, since the inside is dry there is no problem putting them on in the mornings.

While plastic boots have come a long way in the past 10 years in terms of softness and comfort, they can't compare to a properly fitted fully leather boot.

Only posting in this 'plastic boot' thread to answer a question. Not interested in a debate between the two boots. To each their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: dms
My biggest complaint about plastic boots is that after a day of hiking, I was finding that the bottoms of my feet hurt and felt raw and chewed up. I finally solved that problem by putting a set of Superfeet insoles into the bootie (which doesn't have any form of support to it). Once I did that, I no longer experience that raw and chewed up feeling at the end of the day.

I still have problems with cold toes, however, even with the plastics. I always use toe warmers on winter hikes.

Thanks for the Superfeet comment Littlebear. I'm actually wearing my Koflachs right now (little around the house wear to get the feel) and I was thinking if I could put insoles into the booties...sweet!

Thanks for the advice. Just wearing them around I'm not too concerned about shin-bang, but I'm going to go on a few shorter hikes before busting them out up in the Whites. We're going up there in the next couple of days, but with this warm stretch I doubt I'll wear the plastics...

Keep it all coming!

I'll just second the "lace 'em snug of the toes and loose over the ankle" approach. I had an issue with shin bang but, keeping the ankle loose made all the difference the next time I took them out. Not only that but, it also gives them a bit more flex. Now, I find my plastics (Scarpas) to be warm and comfy.

My Koflach Arctis Expe's have been AOK since day one. I've been wearing them laced tight with a single pair of lightweight smartwool socks. I feel my inner boot move around slightly in the shell. So far no shin bang, no blisters, rare hot spot but nothing uncomfortable. Granted I've only used them 3 times at 8-12 miles per. Your results may vary...

My Degre's are my favorite boot. Spend A LOT of time messing with them to make sure they fit just right. Time spent off trail will pay off big time on trail.

I was between shell sizes. I walked the boots over to the ski department at REI and asked them for full sole boot shims which I placed beneath the liners. I then got Superfeet, as did LittleBear. Voila - a perfect fit!

The most important thing IMHO is the shell size. If it is too small, you'll pay. If too large, you'll slide. Making sure that you fill the volume of the boot correctly is the key. I hope you love yours as much as I do mine!

Put a small (2-3")section of duct tape on the heels of the liners.This helps prevent tearing the liners when sliding into the shells.

I hesitated to reply to this thread prior to this because I know how personally people can get attached to their gear and their choices. But I thought, what the heck, the guy asked a question and here's my answer.

The question is:
What is your best tip about plastics?

My personal answer is to keep them in the shed. For New England hiking I personally do not find any advantage to plastics. They are too heavy, too stiff and too uncomfortable. I have a pair of lighter Technicas that are stiff and are lined with 200g of Thinsulate. They have kept me warm on winter overnights and several hikes which were significantly below zero (-20 on Cabot and -17 on Willey, Field & Tom). I wear my leather Salomons on warmer winter and winter condition hikes. Comfortable, water proof and light. I just got a pair of Salomon B52s and they are the most comfortable winter boot that I have ever worn. 400g of Thinsulate will easily keep my feet warm and they are as light as my sneakers. I tried them out today on the Tripyramids and my feet are very happy dogs tonight. All three are crampon and snowshoe compatible and comfortable.

Like dug said, to each their own. People make their own choices for their own reasons. I'm not knocking anyone's choice about plastic boots. They just are not my cup of tea. I hope you are as happy with your boots as I am with mine.

JohnL

Reactions: dug