Plastic boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianne

Reaction score
I got the good news yesterday that my consignment stuff sold and I have store credit waiting for me at IME. YaHoo!!!

so even though it's summer I'm looking for some plastic mountaineering boots. I do a lot more hiking and backpacking than vertical ice so something on the flexible side would be good. I have wide forefeet and narrow heels. A mountaineering boot that comes in women's wide would be awesome, but I realize that may be too much to hope for.

I've never owned this type of boot before so any ideas on finding a good fit would be helpful. I have grivel g-10 crampons.

What would be amazing would be boots I could both hike and ski in (on my targa rx bindings....)

Plastic hiking boots and ski boots aren't built the same way. They may look similar but they flex in very different ways. I'll let the people who do AT skiing comment, but I've rarely heard glowing reports about hiking boots used for anything other then simple approach skiing.

IME sells off their rental plastic boots every few years, there were a lot up there last spring. I think they use Koflach Degres, which are a pretty standard choice for basic hiking and mountaineering.

-dave-

The best thing to do is to go to a store carrying different brands of plastic boots and try them on - the best boot is the one that fits you. Keep in mind that plastic boots do not break-in, so if it doesn't fit in the store, it never will. The usual tips are: 1) try on boots in mid- to late afternoon as feet swell during the day, 2) bring your own socks (the ones you'll actually wear in the boots), and 3) wear the boots around the store for 30-45 minutes. So, boot hunting may take a trip or two. Finding a good store is tough - N. Conway has EMS and IME, so you might check there.

The most common boots you see in the NE are Koflach's Degree. If you want a warmer boot then look at the Artis. My feet run wide (Koflach's are narrower) so the Scarpa Inverno works for me. But again - get the boot that fits. All the name brands are good - fit is all important.

Just to add on the skiing with boots. Dave is right, plastic mountaineering boots aren't stiff enough and don't have buckles, which won't allow for regular hard skiing, just simple approach skiing. Chip has used Degres with skis on AT bindings on Cannon, with not so great results

If you're planning on doing more hiking for the sake of skiing then just get a lightweight AT boot with lots of rocker.

But for general NE mountaineering, Koflach Degres are pretty common/popular.

BTW, there ARE softer double boots out there - like the La Sportiva Nuptses. It's just hard to find those around these parts for trying.

I own both the Koflach Degree mountaineering boots and Lowa Structura Light AT ski boot. The Degree fits a wide fore foot with a narrow heel very well, its my affliction also. I've only tried skiing the Degree once, that was enough, not good. I will say this, I'm wearing them less and less. I bought a pair of North Face Chugach insulated boots which I like much better. When used with Stabilicers, they are sufficient for most winter hiking and climbing, IMO. I really only wear the Degree when the weather may have extended sub zero temps or long periods of full crampon use may be required.
The Lowa boots are great. When used with the flexible tongue they hike fairly well, still a little too stiff but not bad. They really shine once you strap them on, three buckles and plenty of backbone. I'm using them for lift served skiing as well. Hope this helps.

cbcbd said:

I will say this; my set up is (just) okay on beginner to intermediate slopes with good snow coverage. I can hike all day in the Degre's but they don't have enough ankle support to hold an edge on ice. If I wanted a ski boot that I could do some approach hiking in, I'd get a pair of the lockable hinged AT boots. Maybe all AT boots can lock and unlock the hinge, I dunno :eek: .

Edit: I've climbed vertical ice, winter hiked with a pack, with crampons, in snowshoes and "skied" in my Koflach Degre's with no complaint. I have a short, wide food and insert ortho's into the boots. They definately are not as warm as the Arctis', but probably adequate for most winter outings.

Last edited: