Point 2272 & Burnt Jacket---Jackman,ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
....230AM, cold, dark, windy, but it's great to be back hiking after an injury plagued 2011 season. I'm headed up to try a few ME "P" peaks near Jackman. We've had an easy winter like most of the NE, but being unable to get any beta on conditions in northern and western mountains, i have concerns re conditions of the dirt roads-they're usually pretty bad this time of year.

Pt 2272 (2272')-I passed thru Skowhegan, Bingham and the Forks on Rt 201, turning in the Spencer Rd (the dirt highway :) between Lake Parlin and the Kibby/Beaudry area) If you've not been in these areas, go----an endless panorama of 3Ks, lakes and emptiness (well, there are a few windmills at one end). The peak i'm trying to reach has no name and lies north of #5 Mountain. The Spencer Rd is in superb shape for this time of year, as good as i've ever seen it. Followed the Spencer Rd for 20some miles past #5, Crispo and #6. I had been here to climb #6 and Tumbledown and knew there was maze of old logging roads west of #6 which appeared a possible gateway to the area north of #5. Using sat photos, i picked a possible route from the Spencer Rd and was lucky to drive another 6-7 miles (decent old dirt) before being stopped by several major washouts.Without all the logging over the years up here, there's no way i'd be able to do many of my hikes. Parked, booted up [noticed my gaiters still had volcanic ash all over them from my last serious hike (of St Helens) way back in August] and followed the old roads another mile+ to my starting point in an old log landing at the base of 2272'. The winter snow appears mostly gone, even from the 3Ks, but there's patchy snow at 1300 and an inch or two higher up from this week's storms.There are superb views of the north side of #5 (tower) and northeast cliffs on #6

It was 22 degrees and windy, but nary a cloud in the sky.The old skid roads on the lower part of the peak were useless, filled with brambles, slash, running water and ice, but the fairly open woods made for good going. From looking at the sat pics and topos, i was sure the top was a jumble of rocks and wasn't disappointed. The rocks/ledges had snow and verglas on them which made for interesting/slow climbing and the "why am i up here alone" feeling. The top is a jumble of rocks with excellent views all over the place and a sense of being "out there". There are two possible "tops" about a hundred yards apart with a nice small cairn on one of them. The initial part of the descent was pretty hairy because of the ice/steeps, but the terrain soon flattened for a sunny stroll back to the car. Long, uneventful drive back to Rt 201---liked this hike/area.

I had some time and decided to explore another peak a bit north and west of Jackman.

Burnt Jacket-2252'-I doubt you're keeping track, but this is the 2nd Burnt Jacket in the 300 most prominent peaks in ME :). Drive north from Jackman to Dennistown (nothing there) and turn west on the Holeb Rd (dirt, of course). The road's not in nearly as good a shape as the Spencer, but it's OK and i make it 10 miles before being foiled at a lesser road toward BJ (grassed in road hasn't been used in years). No matter as it's only a mile to my planned start. The walk in is easy and the journey up the peak is simply a slog thru moderate density woods, rocks, snow and some ice. On top are a few peek-a-boo ledges, but the summit is a rock pile in the woods with no views. Routine descent and walk to car, but then the long drive out and home..... but Boundary Bald, with a bit of snow on top, is shining in the afternoon sun--beautiful.

I'm looking to hike Clear Pond Mt (Delorme pg 38) which is waaay in the Holeb Rd, 200 Rd etc. If anyone other than JP has ever been in there, pleas contact me.

Burnt Jacket, only if you have to, but "2272" was a good experience--good to be back at it

jim

Last edited:
Sweet Bushwhacking!

Well, I will say that your TRs force me to bring the DeLorme and Topo maps to see where the heck you went.

That is some sweet bushwhacking you're doing.

I'm shocked at how smooth mud season went this year. I live on a miserable road in the spring and this year it went without that axle deep mud. Those 70 degree march days accelerated the thaw.