Poison Ivy and Dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonlegit

Reaction score
I am about to buy a German Shepherd puppy soon, and i understand that the oil can be transferred from the coat of a dog to a human. Since i most definately am allergic to poison ivy, i was wondering if there was any proactive measures i could take to keep the oil off my dog, or perhaps take it off before i come into contact with it. I prefer to remove it with felsnaptha soap, but i was thinking that there may be something i could do to prevent even getting into contact with the oil.

Also, i came across this product advertising towards hunters with hunting dogs, and i dont know anything about it. I figured i would have heard about it if really works.

Oral Ivy

From the "For what it's worth" category

I've hiked with my dog for years and never had transmission in this manner. Now granted, I'm no more sensitive to poison ivy than the average person so I don't worry about it much. In having a conversation with the vet (who is also a hiker) he said that dog's fur doesn't absorb or "hold" on to the oil. So the very fact of traveling through the woods that might break the plants and create the oil, also has the effect of brushing the oil off. Not scientific but something to consider.

I'm about average for poison ivy sensitivity too. I also don't worry about getting it from the dog, but for another reason. Dog coats are oily, some breeds/individuals more than others. Poison ivy, being an oil, is oil soluble, meaning that it is neutralized by other oils. Therefore, the oil of the dog's coat neutralizes the oil of the poison ivy.

But I still wouldn't let my dog roll in it then climb into my bed!

If you are still worried, I think a leash and a keen eye for poison ivy on the trail would do the trick.

Poison Ivy

I used to come into contact with Poison Ivy every year as a kid. I don't suffer from it, i.e. scratch till I'm insane, etc., but I would blister up quite a bit. Then, as I took on other activities & got away from playing in the woods & fields (I know, it was my loss for a short period of time) I didn't get it for a number of years. THEN, I got my first dog. She went everywhere with me, including daily runs on the roads of the rural town we live in. She, got into Poison Ivy, and I wound up with those tell-tale blisters that I hadn't seen in years. That's when I was first introduced to Fels-Naptha soap by the doctor. He told me to scrub down "like a surgeon" right after her romps and during daily showers. That has worked wonderfully. I did, however, get an outbreak of the blisters on one side of my neck & jaw one year. Our beautiful, long haired cat, Alley, used to visit the Christmas Tree Farm across the road everyday. When he would come in for the night, I always got a big hug & head rub from him right where the blisters appeared. I investigated the banking of the tree farm.......sure enough, Poison Ivy.

Being highly allergic to poison ivy, my oldest daughter would always catch it. More so when she was a child then in her adult years. Although she still does get a dose from time to time. I always would have to take her to the doctor 3-4 times a year. I would ask the doctor why she was catching it, when she doesn't go anywhere. Cats as well will carry in the oils and rub against you and you get the outbreak of it. She had to take Prednizone every time, to get rid of it.

the Fels-Naptha soap works shortly after exposure. The oil from poison ivy is rugged stuff and does not breakdown very easily. Once exposed our bodies break it down. As this metabolism happens we react to it. Classic IgE- allergen stuff. I find once the rash has set in the best ting to use is jewlweed aka spotted touch me not. (No help now) just crush the stem and rub on the exposed area. In my experience this is more efective then commercial preps.