Pole recommendation?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin Rooney said:
The BD's locking mechanism has a small cam to increase the tension. It's possible to overtighten the screw so that when the cam snaps in place - it's tough to reverse with your fingers. You'll need a slot screwdriver to act as a lever to get it off.
Thanks. It wasn't that important at the time so we just left it. I presume that it would have been easy to take care of with tools.

Doug

I had both the EMS version of Komperdell and the Leki Makalus fail on me. The Kompderdells would collaspe while hiking, the pole wuod pull apart while hiking and both of the poles eventually bent. I am a 120 lb 5'3" female so I don't think I am big enough to abuse the poles to any great extent. I have had continued problems with the locking mechansim on the Lekis which is frustrating considering how much money the poles cost.

daxs said:
I had both the EMS version of Komperdell and the Leki Makalus fail on me. The Kompderdells would collaspe while hiking, the pole wuod pull apart while hiking and both of the poles eventually bent. I am a 120 lb 5'3" female so I don't think I am big enough to abuse the poles to any great extent. I have had continued problems with the locking mechansim on the Lekis which is frustrating considering how much money the poles cost.
Have you tried cleaning and lubricating the mechanism? It often cures such ills.

Doug

I had trouble with my EMS Komperdell's slowly collapsing, and (once) not wanting to tighten at all. Cleaning out the expansion nut fixed the problem in both cases.

Got them in 2003, and while I don't hike as much as some folks on this board, they have held up to heavy use.

I did finally manage to bend one badly, but only after I used it to stop a fall (my feet went out from under me going down, and the pole stuck between two rocks)