Poughkeepsie Rail Trail Bridge Illumination - 10/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Last night we went to the western edge of the bridge, via shuttle bus, to participate in the opening ceremonies of the Poughkeepsie Rail Trail Bridge. This was an invitation-only event, and we were guests of a newly formed 4-H club, started by our friend Paula. Its main focus is - hiking! :D

A VERY long series of events, trials and tribulations, has led to the Bridge being restored and covered with a wide, cement slabbed walkway. A see-thru railing has been erected, and while tall, it allows views thru the metal slats for the younger or shorter among us.

A series of explanatory signs line the walkway, including pictures of birds, fish, and this interesting concept.

Stepping out from the trees, the river panorama opens up before you. The bridge is over 200' above the water, much taller than the Mid-Hudson Bridge, located to the South.

We walked over to the Eastern Shore, but this is only the half way point of the bridge. It continues .8 miles into Poughkeepsie, where it finally hits the ground again. When opened, this was the longest bridge (of any kind) in the world! It is also a very windy bridge. We all had several layers on to keep warm.

Turning back, we ambled thru hundreds, probably thousands of people who were also strolling the bridge and taking in the magnificent views. There are some not so magnificent views as well - parts of Poughkeepsie that I had never seen, decaying buildings, factories, wharves, mostly to the North of the bridge. It's interesting to see how elevation changes your perspective.

Speaking of perspective, there is also a large house which used to be secluded from prying eyes, on the West side. No longer, it is fully exposed to the bridge, with its pool and lawns open to plain sight. A 'For Sale' sign in the back yard is squarely aimed at the bridge. :(

At 6:30, the groups started walking from either shore towards the middle of the river. Everyone was carrying an illuminated lantern. When complete, it must have made quite a sight for the onlookers from every shore.

Around 7:00, crews of volunteers began lighting paper lanterns that lifted into the sky and floated out of sight towards the NNW. It was a spectacular sight. 7 Meg Video clip.

Around 8:00, a barge situated between the 2 bridges began an excellent fireworks display (7 Meg file). The explosions could be heard first echoing off the cliffs on the west, and then from the Poughkeepsie side. After not one, but two grand finales, we walked back to the shore and ended the evening.

Other links:

Poughkeepsie Journal coverage.

Walkway over the Hudson Web Page.

<makes me homesick but in a good way>

I've been thinking about when this project would finally be completed, what a BONUS for Poughkeepsie! :D

Hope to get down there and experience it myself sometime soon.

Thanks for posting!!!!

Thanks Tom. In my days at Marist we used to sit by the river and imagine what a view there had to be from up there. I often wondered how long it would be until they tore it down. Certainly nice that it met a much better fate. I need to get down there and check it out.

Ever since Sabrina first showed me this bridge, I've been fascinated by it and it's wonderful to see it now opened. What a terrific job they did, it's sure to be a source of great pride for the communities involved.

Is it connected yet to the various bike trails in the area? Did any of the lanterns set anything on fire when they landed? :)

Ever since Sabrina first showed me this bridge, I've been fascinated by it and it's wonderful to see it now opened. What a terrific job they did, it's sure to be a source of great pride for the communities involved.

Is it connected yet to the various bike trails in the area? Did any of the lanterns set anything on fire when they landed? :)
Not quite connected yet, on the west side, and not as far as I know on the east either.

Also, I think most of the lanterns went out very high in the air, at least from what we could tell. The ones that fizzled went into the river, so no problem there either. There were a ton of police boats in the water, and I think they retrieved the ones that hit the water.

And whenever you do come back to the Hudson Valley, let us know, we always have a spare guest room! :D

Thanks for the info! My son goes to school in Poughkeepsie. I will check this out next time we visit him.