Predicting winds above treeline - Helpful tool

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

Reaction score
For those who have the flexibility to plan climbs above treeline 2-3 days out, there's a reliable tool I use for flight planning that will help you anticipate wind conditions; I've found in the winter merely relying on general meteorology (i.e. high pressure vs. low pressure) won't predict winds well enough to tell you if you're going to get blown off your feet above treeline.

Here's the link:

http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/winds/

Click on the desired time on the left (these are UTC/zulu times, conversion is on the bottom of the page), then click wind speed in the upper right. Finally, choose your altitude by clicking on the colored plates (FL060 a.k.a. 6000 feet is most relevant for above treeline stuff in the Whites and Daks).

For instance, compare 1800UTC (1pm eastern) Dec 30 vs. Dec 31; Dec 30 you'll have cupcake conditions, whereas Dec 31, you're going to likely face hurricane force winds. Numbers in those charts are in knots, so bump them up 5-15 to get mph.

Usual disclaimer - this doesn't replace an official forecast, and any sort of prediction 2-3 days out can change, so don't head up Washington in shorts and a t-shirt because this computer model says winds will be nil. Nonetheless, I've found it to be a very useful tool that helps me plan my itinerary a few days out.

Have fun!

Interesting, and helpful...................

The fact that I'm planning on being above treeline on Thursday (12/30), and Not Friday (12/31) is even better :)

We'll see if it works, Thanks.

Wind speeds

I'm wondering how accurate you have found the models to be. (It sounds better than my system which is looking at birch trees on a ridge when I get to about 3k'. This system only gives me about an hour's notice.)
Also, has anybody found an affordable wind speed gauge? I have a system for that too which involved riding in the back of a pickup truck suspending my ice ax by a lanyard at arms length. I measured the angle at various speeds. It was a stupid idea that only gives approximate speeds. I'm serious about these questions even though I have given stupid examples of my own attempts to predict and record the wind. (I have one that's even more ridiculous for judging wind chill which involves timing how long it takes for my moustache to freeze up). Any info appreciated.

It's very accurate even a few days out; just write down the model #'s @ 6000ft a few days out then check the actual summit weather and compare - it's good to within a few knots.

I don't think I'd call this a time-tested endorsment, but it was right on 12/30-31. We got "cupcake" conditions above the trees on Algonquin & Wright between 12:00-1:00 PM on 12/30, just like they said we would. It sure looked ugly when we left town this AM on 12/31. Freezing rain and high winds.

For now, thumbs up.

wind speed scales

daxegraphix said:
I'm wondering how accurate you have found the models to be. (It sounds better than my system which is looking at birch trees on a ridge when I get to about 3k'. This system only gives me about an hour's notice.)
Also, has anybody found an affordable wind speed gauge? .

The land version of the Beaufort scale is useful in the woods, not so good above treeline. Has anyone seen a version adapted for snow conditions?

Walt