Presidential Traverse Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pammy

Reaction score
Hello all.

Any suggestions on where to stay for the Presidential Traverse, if we're starting on the Northern end, (Valley Way) . As long as it's close and clean, we'll be happy. Would there be a better choice for lodging than Gorham, NH?

Also....Do you consider a true Presi-Traverse to include bagging each summit....rather than just traversing the ridge?

Thanks!
Pam

Last edited:
Lowes cabins

In the past people have stayed at Lowes cabins on RT2 just a couple of miles from Appalachia trailhead. I never have but it might be worth a call.

Lowes Cabins
RR1 Box 1515, US Route 2
Randolph, NH 03570
Phone: (603) 466-3950

Map

Traverse

I attempted a "Presi-Traverse light" in June where I was only going to summit two summits. I did that (Madison and Adams), but only made it to the Jewell Trail as weather and fatigue were setting in. I considered this a very strenuous, worthwhile hike, but I do not consider it a true Presi-traverse.
If you like camping, Cherry Mountain Road has free sites that are easily accessible to both ends of your hike. Also, Dolly Copp is good.
My only advice to anyone doing this is to start real early. I started at 2:30AM and would start even earlier the next time. I am better earlier in the day.

Pammy said:
Also....Do you consider a true Presi-Traverse to include bagging each summit....rather than just traversing the ridge?
Personally, I like to hit the peaks, and I think most people would agree that unless you hit the summits it's not a true traverse.

But do whatever makes you happy. There are no rules, just enjoy the hike.

-dave-

its all about what you want to do really - if you want to get super technical about it I think you have to include the summits as well as jackson and webster - if only to avoid having people tell you later on you didn't do the whole thing - if that bothers you.

but who cares - do what you want and make it fun.

Pammy said:

Our group of friends tends to define it as bagging every trailed summit, even if they aren't part of the 4000 footer list. So this includes Clay, Franklin and Webster. Others say you can skip peaks that aren't presidents. So basically it's your choice. Either way, it's a tough hike but really rewarding if you get a good day. I attempted one in June, but reinjured my knee (which had been sprained only two weeks prior) on Jackson (during a photo op so not even because I was doing anything hard or stupid), so I went down at washington. My friends kept going but had to skip Monroe because of the weather, so they just cut off and went back down after they did Pierce.

Another option to look into is the Jefferson Notch Motel. Then, if you're heading back for the night after the traverse, you can just take Jefferson Notch Road from Rte 302 right back up to the motel.

Also consider car spots in case you have to bail due to weather. Caps Ridge trailhead and Ammo parking lot are good locations.

Good luck!!!

FYI, just a heads up, I am pretty much considering holding a presi traverse next June to raise money for TBTS, of course, your schedule is different but heck, it's fun, it's doable twice, it's for a good cause. :)

When a bunch of us Rainier folks did a presi back in June, including Giggy here, we stayed at Cherry Mtn Road, which is just north of Crawford Notch. Worked out well as it was close to Crawford Notch and also not too far from Valley Way.

Jay

Agree with previous posters, it's really all about what you want to do. Last Saturday was my 9th annual ritual from Appalachia up Valley Way, hitting 11 summits including Clay, Jackson and the majors from Madison to Webster, then a night at Highland Center (prefer Shapleigh, if bunk available; it wasn't last Sat night), then ride bike back over Jefferson Notch Road next day to car (leave bike in basement of Highland Center). This is just one routine, and everybody's got their favorite, all of which are just fine. -John

i just did a traverse yesterday and today, made it a two day affair. started at crawford notch, went over to hermit lake and camped there. Then today went up washington and around the whole ridge and back to pinkham notch.

A group of us stayed at Dolly Copp campground and ascended Madison via the Daniel Webster Scout trail to start our traverse. 2 in our group went over all the summits, several choose to summit only certain peaks, while others bypassed all peaks whenever possible. Everyone in our group who completed the hike did a "Presidential Traverse".

Onestep