Proposed Maine Huts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injektilo

Reaction score
I'm surprised I haven't heard of this before but I haven't. I searched the forums but didn't find any discussion about it. I've only lived in Maine for a little over a year so pardon my ignorance if this is old news or has been discussed to death.

Sounds like a group called the Western Mountains Foundation is proposing a 180 mile hut and trail system through westen Maine in and around the Bigelow area.
The trails would be groomed for xc skiing in the winter and open for hiking and biking in the summer... I don't have anymore info as I just stumbled across this link today and am going to do some research on it now. My initial thought is this doesn't seem like a bad idea... as I get more info my opinion may change though.

Here is a link to the Portland Press article...

http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/trailhead/001064.shtml

Thoughts or comments? Is this really old news? Any additional info that anyone would like to add is appreciated. :)

Just wanted to clarify something from my first post... a SECTION of the proposed 180 mile trail would pass near the preserve with two huts on adjoining land.

Too rushed right now for me to search for a link but several months ago there was considerable discussion about this here on VFTT.