Question about "mud season"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.Tracy

Reaction score
I understand that the weather has a big say in this question, but when would one deem it appropriate to re-commence hiking in the ADK High Peaks without inflicting damage on the fragile Alpine enviroment ?

"More information on trail conditions in the Adirondacks can be found on the DEC Website or by contacting the DEC Forest Rangers at (518) 897-1300.

Closure typically runs from May through early to mid-June. If you are planning a trip to the High Peaks during this period, please call the ADK High Peaks Information Center at 518-523-3441 or DEC Region 5 headquarters to learn about trail conditions and whether the voluntary closure is in effect."

C.Tracy said:
I understand that the weather has a big say in this question, but when would one deem it appropriate to re-commence hiking in the ADK High Peaks without inflicting damage on the fragile Alpine enviroment ?

Usually around Mid - June, as long as we don't have a rainy Spring. With the low snowfall this year, trails should dry out rather quickly.

Staying on solid rock helps tremendously with helping to preserve our fragile Alpine Summits.

Thanks for the input guys. I wanted to get a few different opinions on this subject before I re-commence any further Adirondack High Peaks adventures.

C.Tracy said:
Thanks for the input guys. I wanted to get a few different opinions on this subject before I re-commence any further Adirondack High Peaks adventures.

This time of year, I look for other hiking opportunities, such as fire towers, lower peaks, trail work, rail trails, views and brews ( :D ), etc.

Angling!

Different seasons bring different joys, eh?

After the rush of the spring runoff, sometime around the height of mud season, the rivers come into one of their best times of the year.

And angling is a great way to explore a different part of the bc.

To be truly alone on a remote stretch of river with a trout on the other end of the line is something that has to be experienced to be understood.

And New York is great for that!

Good luck.

Views, Brews, And Angling.......Sounds like one heck of a recipe :D That is, if I can keep upright :eek: