Question about West Canada Lakes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Va3Pinner

Reaction score
Hello there,
Second post in the forum, first one here!
Some time ago (probably 20 years ago) my wife and I spent 5 days hiking in West Canada Lakes in the fall, just before hunting season, so we had the place almost entirely to ourselves. We fell in love with it, planned on returning, but an accident ended my wife's hiking days, so I never got back there.

I would like to try and get back this fall, and would like to know if there are any sources for maps with GPS info online that you might know of, and any other info that might be helpful. I remember something about a freak storm taking down vast areas of trees shortly after we were there, I'd be interested in learning anything about that as well. After 20 years or so, it would be interesting to see the reforestation.

Thanks!

If you don't already have a copy of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map for the Northville/Raquette Lake Region, that's your first best bet for information about the area useful in planning your trip.

One thing to be aware of- the Perkins Clearing Easement has made it easier to access the West Canada Lakes. The area gets a little bit more use now than it used to as a result. Both Spruce Lake and Cedar Lakes are popular weekend destinations, and even the West Canada Lakes gets a fair amount of backpacker traffic in addition to NPT through hikers. The amount of use is still nothing compared to other areas (like the High Peaks), but it may be more than you remember.

As far as a freak storm- I think you're confusing the West Canada Lakes Wilderness with the Five Ponds Wilderness. The "freak storm" was a microburst that leveled much of the vicinity of Cranberry Lake, which is about a 2 hour drive north of the West Canada Lakes. The damage is impressive to see- although now, 15 years later, the forests are indeed starting to come back. In the areas that were worst hit, the undergrowth is so thick now that you can hardly move through it!

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply!
You are correct. I was confusing it with five ponds. We visited both within a year. We would take leisurely BP trips when there. Wasting as much time as possible both on the trail and in camp. Spent an inordinate amount of time fishing for some reason, and my wife would spend most of the day poking around and cleaning up whatever place we were camped at.

I have a copy of the Nat. Geo TOPO! for New York and New Jersey, so I'll snoop around for online info. I'l also order the Trails Illustrated map you suggested.
We had a couple of excellent guide books as I remember as well. You've just made me schedule part of my day in the attic to find them :D I just didn't know if there were any local hikers that posted map and trail info on a private web page. We have an excellent source for the Mid Atlantic area. Just hoping there might be a similar site a bit further Nawth.

I have a copy of the Nat. Geo TOPO! for New York and New Jersey, so I'll snoop around for online info. I'l also order the Trails Illustrated map you suggested.
We had a couple of excellent guide books as I remember as well. You've just made me schedule part of my day in the attic to find them :D I just didn't know if there were any local hikers that posted map and trail info on a private web page. We have an excellent source for the Mid Atlantic area. Just hoping there might be a similar site a bit further Nawth.
Don't confuse NG TOPO! software maps with the paper (plactisized) maps DS mentioned, National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map. Both are useful but are quite different. DS is quite correct about the growth after the 1995 microburst. But the worst of it isn't really undergrowth, it is just plain growth in areas that were very nearly or actually knocked down 100%. The new growth is exploding in the new sunlight, each seedling tree is competing for it's share of the sun, only inches from the next neighbor. Combine that with the downed large tree logs that you can't even see due to new growth and ferns covering them, and going in certain areas is next to impossible at any speed. But it is all fun and it does keep the riff-raff out. :D

Don't confuse NG TOPO! software maps with the paper (plactisized) maps DS mentioned, National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map. Both are useful but are quite different. DS is quite correct about the growth after the 1995 microburst. But the worst of it isn't really undergrowth, it is just plain growth in areas that were very nearly or actually knocked down 100%. The new growth is exploding in the new sunlight, each seedling tree is competing for it's share of the sun, only inches from the next neighbor. Combine that with the downed large tree logs that you can't even see due to new growth and ferns covering them, and going in certain areas is next to impossible at any speed. But it is all fun and it does keep the riff-raff out. :D

But I AM the riff-raff!

I just didn't know if there were any local hikers that posted map and trail info on a private web page. We have an excellent source for the Mid Atlantic area. Just hoping there might be a similar site a bit further Nawth.

I don't know of any good "private" websites for the West Canada Lakes (or the Adirondacks) in general- maybe Andy Arthur's site, which has a lot of good information, but it's hard to navigate and find what you're looking for (and the useful information about backcountry routes and destinations is often mixed in with a fair amount of political commentary).

I've spent a fair amount of time in the West Canada Lakes and know the area pretty well. Feel free to post any questions you have here (or via PM) and I'd be happy to answer them.

You might also sign up for the forums at http://www.adkforum.com/ and at http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/, if you haven't already. Both are much more "Adirondack-specific" than Views From The Top, and you'll be a lot more likely to get advice and answers from many different sources by posting there. ADK Forum is probably better for questions about places like the West Canadas or Five Ponds, as the community there is a little bit less "peak-bagging oriented" than that of the ADK High Peaks community, and there tends to be a lot more combined experience there from areas other than the High Peaks. :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll check into both of those sites, but still hang around. I'm a peak-bagger at heart, just live in the wrong place!