Question: Alander, South Taconic Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary

Reaction score
Has anyone been on the trail to Alander recently? I promised a friend I'd drive down from NH and help her take her kids on a hike but she wants it to be free of snow and ice.

Thanks for any info you have.

I am also interested in any replies to your question, Solitary. We plan to camp along the trail to Alander Mt. (Mass side) in late April. Hope to photograph some sunset and sunrise views on the mountaintop.

Last edited:
Edelweiss said:
I am also interested in any replies to your question, Solitary. We plan to stay overnight at a lean-to on the trail to Alander Mt. (Mass side) Saturday-Sunday, April 19-20. Hope to photograph some sunset and sunrise views on the mountaintop.

Edelweiss, do you mean the Alander cabin? I don't know of any lean-tos in that area.

In the vicinity of Alander, camping is restricted to the Mt. Washington State Forest (MA) backpacking site about 1.5 miles west of park headquarters.
Anyone can stay at the Alander cabin, which is open to whoever shows up, no reservations needed.
Access for both is from park headquarters on the west side of Mt. Washington Rd.

Nearby on the Appalachian Trail (east side of Mt. Washington Rd.) there are several official tent sites and lean-tos. One of the better known camping spots is Sage's Ravine, a quietly spectacular area on the CT-MA border (no fires). From the parking area, it's less than an hour's walk down to the site, which has tent platforms, water and privies.

Another good camp site is Glen Brook, also on the AT. There's a fire ring at the lean-to - which is a charmer - also several tent platforms, water, privy.

Both of these AT parking areas are only a few minutes from the Alander trailhead at Mt. Washington headquarters, though there are other ways to access Alander from NY.

Sunsets from Alander should be very good. You can see the Catskills from there.

Thanks so much Trudy and una_dogger! Sorry to hijack the thread, Solitary. We're looking forward to exploring this area for the first time.

Last edited:
I was in the Catskills near Palenville last Thursday and there was no snow up there and minimal ice (and I was looking for ice in a shaded ravine). I couldn't imagine there'd be any snow or ice in the Taconics.
Alander is awesome! Also check out Brace if you have a chance, nice open 360 deg dome.

Brace
Alander cabin

Last edited:
Thanks Quietman - should have done a search first thing! Just ordered the South Taconic Trail map online.
cbcbd - yes, sounds like an Alander/Brace walk has all sorts of photographic potential!

A correction to the map that I linked, the "backcountry tenting area" near Alander has been moved to an area farther up the Alander Trail.

Solitary, I was on top of Race Mt., one valley and about 4 miles east of Alander on Tuesday, 4/8. The trail was clear and dry.

The only snow I saw was in upper Race Brook Falls ravine in the woods.

Thanks

Thanks Trudy. I guess it's time to make the drive. And thanks to all who posted for the other related info. It's not NH (a little Granite State chauvanism) but it is certainly a beautiful area with a high "vista to effort ratio." I first discovered it from reading the the New York Walk Book.