Rainbow Family Gathering in the Kilkennies Fourth of July

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.wmur.com/article/violations-rainbow-family-gathering-white-mountains-nh/44406906
I saw a new WMNF sign at a trailhead today, the list of prohibitive acts now include no marijuana possession even though state laws may say different. The Rainbows, do not condone alcohol use, but admit other psychoactive substances will be present.

I am confused, the report states Littleton police are making the busts, not sure why they should be hot spot for an event closer to Milan and Berlin
There was a local story in the Caledonian Record about this yesterday. Apparently Littleton Courthouse is one of 2 Federal courthouses in this state (as well as serving as a local courthouse). They set up an outdoor federal "bench" for a day in Littleton. Since the charges were being processed in Littleton,, the local PD was assisting other law enforcement agencies with the overall response. The article stated that the US Attorney on-site was telling the defendants that the President is pardoning the weed possession cases, which I assume are the bulk.

Welcome to another presumably "local" to VFTT, good to have some eyes and ears from that part of the county. I expect not a lot of folks have visited Ingerson Road, Stag Hollow road and Pond of Safety road (POSR), ...

Luckily the Jefferson resident that wanted to build the bypass around Berlin years ago didnt get his way by connecting up Stag Hollow road to Bog Dam loop road and out to RT 110

Thanks for the welcome. We're considered "new" here; only in Jefferson full-time for 20 years.

Never knew about that "Berlin bypass plan" before! A number of drivers have tried to "extend" NH 115 past US Hwy 2 by plowing straight on into the woods at 50+ MPH -- instead of making the required turn at the tee. Someone on-scene had remarked that "it looks like they were trying to make the shortcut to Stark", but I thought it was just gallows humor in a terrible rescue and recovery situation.

There was a local with a fax machine that lived in "downtown" Jefferson at a store that is no longer, he was rather infamous at collecting fax numbers and faxing missives to his massive list on many issues but one of his favorites was the berlin bypass. I think he moved out of town at some point. When RT 115 was built (replacing what is now RT 1115A), it bypassed the Jefferson village cutting way back on traffic and probably led to the demise of the store. Between that and the serial arsonist, Jefferson sort of contracted in on itself for many years.

Thanks for the tip. There used to be a bunch of stores and gas stations here, judging from the 1940s directory.

Every little bit helps. The LEO's should keep arresting for anything possbile so they don't come back.
Seems it all might of worked. According to the article in the union ledger.
On a side note. Woodstock 69 had permits,toilets,hired security etc. They just didn't know that it would explode into what it became. These guys just blow into our area wildly. They should go back to California. Maybe John Dutton will talk to them.

Last edited:
Seems it all might of worked. According to the article in the union ledger.
On a side note. Woodstock 69 had permits,toilets,hired security etc. They just didn't know that it would explode into what it became. These guys just blow into our area wildly. They should go back to California. Maybe John Dutton will talk to them.
Not that I have any desire to join the Rainbow group, it is legal for them to be here. The fact that they choose to go out into a forest to me makes great sense to me. They are out of town, not really in anybody's way and just trying to enjoy themselves. Sure, they go into town or break any laws, deal with it, but I see no need to hate on them just for being here. Tax paying citizens have a right to use the National Forest. Whatever mark they leave, the forest has recovered from much worse than a bunch of hippies. I speak my mind and live my own way, I let others due the same, to each his/her own.

The one caveat to your comment is that the National Forest effectively has "zoning" in place. Different areas had different policies for management. I do not have access to the latest documents, but at one point that area was "zoned" as unorganized dispersed recreational use. No new trails and at one point when I helped blaze the original Kilkenny ridge trail, the goal was to remove side trails to make the KRT more remote. The only side trail that would be left was the now closed Mt Cabot trail west, Bunnell Notch, York Pond and Mill Brook were all intended to be closed. The landowner dispute over in Lancaster changed that and about 5 years later they started maintaining those trails again.

Yes the woods have and will recover from far worse, unfortunately these organized anarchic events on public land establishes bad precedents for other groups with far worse manners to decide to utilize public lands. Some folks are comparing it to Woodstock, the original Woodstock did not have dedicated volunteers and early LNT rules to ensure that site impact was minimized and it took quite awhile to clean up the debris from the area. In theory the FS works with the Rainbow volunteers to remove debris but the trampling of the understory will take a few years to recover and usually as a "bonus" invasives sometime hitchhike their way into an area in the belongings of the participants. Berlin NH on the other hand will need increased viglence and testing to their public water supply for several years until the soil stabilizes and the volume of human waste left in place fades away.

... On a side note. Woodstock 69 had permits,toilets,hired security etc. They just didn't know that it would explode into what it became. ...
To be fair, Yasgur charged Woodstock 69 organizers for use of part of his PRIVATE 600-acre dairy farm and ticket sales allegedly generated $60 million in revenue.

The one caveat to your comment is that the National Forest effectively has "zoning" in place. Different areas had different policies for management. I do not have access to the latest documents, but at one point that area was "zoned" as unorganized dispersed recreational use. No new trails and at one point when I helped blaze the original Kilkenny ridge trail, the goal was to remove side trails to make the KRT more remote. The only side trail that would be left was the now closed Mt Cabot trail west, Bunnell Notch, York Pond and Mill Brook were all intended to be closed. The landowner dispute over in Lancaster changed that and about 5 years later they started maintaining those trails again.

Yes the woods have and will recover from far worse, unfortunately these organized anarchic events on public land establishes bad precedents for other groups with far worse manners to decide to utilize public lands. Some folks are comparing it to Woodstock, the original Woodstock did not have dedicated volunteers and early LNT rules to ensure that site impact was minimized and it took quite awhile to clean up the debris from the area. In theory the FS works with the Rainbow volunteers to remove debris but the trampling of the understory will take a few years to recover and usually as a "bonus" invasives sometime hitchhike their way into an area in the belongings of the participants. Berlin NH on the other hand will need increased viglence and testing to their public water supply for several years until the soil stabilizes and the volume of human waste left in place fades away.
If there is "zoning" in place than it's up to the Forest Service to enforce it, they are not doing so. I'm not sure it's fair to compare this event to Woodstock, Woodstock took place in a field, this is a forest. Look, I'm not really interested in falling on this sword, but my point was that if they are legally there, so be it. You are very knowledgeable about the area, much more than I, I'm just trying to be open minded here. If it turns out there is damage and very consequential repercussions from this event, I'll be the first to say they should stop them from happening going forward.

If there's a couple thousand of them going I feel like they could at least all chip in a few bucks for some port-a-potties, would negate most of their impact and sounds a lot better than a communal poop pit

Not that I have any desire to join the Rainbow group, it is legal for them to be here. The fact that they choose to go out into a forest to me makes great sense to me. They are out of town, not really in anybody's way and just trying to enjoy themselves. Sure, they go into town or break any laws, deal with it, but I see no need to hate on them just for being here. Tax paying citizens have a right to use the National Forest. Whatever mark they leave, the forest has recovered from much worse than a bunch of hippies. I speak my mind and live my own way, I let others due the same, to each his/her own.
My understanding is that there are ten camping sites with a max of ten persons per site. Also any group gathering of 75 people or more requires a permit. At least this was stated earlier in this thread. The Rainbows preach a mantra of being one with the land. Yet they refuse to call themselves an official group because of a lack of central leadership. Therefore they claim the rules do not apply to them. Yes, maybe The Forest Service should be doing more enforcement, but resources are limited. I like a good gathering as much as the next guy. Peace, Love, and happiness! Although with that comes responsibilities.

Peace, love, happiness and TICKS.

I hope those kids were tick-aware. In the pics I've seen we got lots of folks tramping through high grass and deep woods.

The Rainbows preach a mantra of being one with the land.
Like many, it's built on convenience. Being one with the land and bending the rules to make it fit.

In full disclosure, I fit the category as well. I consider myself to be responsible in the woods and follow the rules. But, for example, I don't camp above treeline....however, on a few occasions I have taken my pack off, changed from boots to flip-flops, laid a pad out, had a bite to eat,and rested on the summit ledges for a while to watch the stars and sunrise. I was NOT camping ;-)

Anyone know what the fall-out from the gathering is? My understanding is that most folks have left but the clean up crew remains.

Anyone know what the fall-out from the gathering is? My understanding is that most folks have left but the clean up crew remains.
Curiosity got the better of me, so yesterday we took a drive down to the Bog Dam Road. At the 7 mile point we started seeing people. Maybe a dozen vehicles, with plates from WA, NE, PA among others. The big bus and food truck is still there and a few tired looking folks ambling about. It was raining of course, so not a lot of smiles. The trash seems to be confined to two spots along the road, which is still posted as one way. There's a lot of it. Will take quite a few truckloads to get it out of there.

I have been avoiding it to date, thanks for the report. Given the rotten weather its probably a major effort to try to restore it.