Rainbow Family Gathering in the Kilkennies Fourth of July

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorta'. The Bethel Woods Center for the Arts has events (obviously nothing like the original Festival), including the 40th anniversary; the 50th got the go-ahead but was cancelled for other reasons. The 30th was a couple of hours north in Rome.

Also, it's generated a half-billion dollars for the town and continues to be the largest revenue generator in the Region. Maybe they are finally in the black after the original one.

What "town" will but the kibosh on something like this happening again? Milan? Stark? Technically this mess occurring on Federal land, not sure what pull they could even have. This group is well-versed in legal-eeze since everywhere they go, they have to fight the locals. They know what they can and can't do from a legal perspective. For a peace and love group, they appear to have little concern from an environmental perspective.

Driving through Berlin is going to be a real trip. No way they can handle that amount of traffic.
Also, the 25th that was held elsewhere as well :)

Funny, they talk about digging 4 foot latrines. I was four miles south of there today on my property with my backhoe equipped with a rock bucket for a couple of hours digging an access ramp to get up to a spot to dig a test hole and move some logs. (the log in the background is about 38" in diameter with bigger ones upto 48" diameter behind it) The soil conditions are quite similar to the woods up where the Rainbow event will be. I think the soil type is Monadnock-Hermon, basically glacial till loaded with rocks with the voids filled in by a gravelly soil with 12" at most of topsoil between the protruding rocks. There really is no digging a 4' deep trench by hand except by backbreaking work. How I have to do it is break the rocks loose, roll the big ones to the side and then smooth out whatever soil there is. There are fine roots all through the top layers. Here is what 2 hours of digging looks like with my ex military FLU 419 backhoe which is similar to a Case 580 series. The path is about 10 feet wide and at most I dug 3' deep by 30 feet long. The upside down root ball to the left took me 20 minutes, it is from a 10" recently cut maple, those fine roots hold the soil together and the choice is rip them out with horsepower or cut every one by hand, a hand shovel really will not cut them unless its sharp and a hand shovel does not stay sharp very long digging in this type of soil. Even if they do dig 4 feet, the biologically active layer of the soil is the topsoil. Everything below is just going to remain somewhat inert. Talk to any MATC privy builder and they know that when they move a privy, they have to be careful about picking a previously used spot as even though it has not been used for decades when they dig into it, it's still potentially loaded with pathogens.

20230625_120859[1].jpg

“Probably most people will carry it out in biodegradable bags, ad compost it when they get home”

Yeah, sure.🤪. Oh, I almost forgot. This is Utopia 🙄

I am just reading their manual which illustrates that they at least publically they have not done specific planning for this site.

I suppose they could do like some inconsiderate dog walkers do and leave plastic bags of their crap at the side of the road expecting the crap fairy will come by and magically dispose of the waste.

I

know about bethel woods well. Been back to visit the site 4 times over the years. Expensive and not the same. To me they capitalized something there they should of left alone some how. Police patrol the area and did boot me off the field.
And one can't compare this to that period. Fake hippes. Frank Zappa would say "plastic hippie "
Gatekeeping at it's finest. We get it, we'll stay off your lawn.

Before the bank would close on my place in Gorham, they wanted the seasonal water line buried, and the water system freeze proof (dug well). My wife and I had to show up at the property one weekend and we hand dug to the goal of 4ft for what I remember to be at least 60' run between the well and cellar. We did it over a 2 or 3 day weekend, but admittedly the depth was sometimes shy of 4' and I had to tunnel under a piece of ledge here and there. I come from a background of hard manual labor, so it was doable but not easy. I lived just the other side of the ridge from their gathering. You are right peakbagger- very tough digging in this neighborhood.
In the early 80's I went to a gathering during my teenage years and was impressed by the focus of environmental responsibility. That is a main focus of the core members, but unfortunately we know that won't be the focus of all who attend. One memory of my visit was naked people standing in line to poop into a pit toilet with everyone watching. Being a bit more conservative myself, but also upholding conservation values; I wandered off deep into the forest to find the perfect spot for a text-book cat hole.
After all my years in public recreation management, at one place that would receive thousands of people in one day, I always expected less respect from the everyday visitors who would commit regular horrors on public properties with little regard. I would be frustrated by this group, but would probably find them overall more responsible.

I suspect the gate at the fish hatchery will be repaired to allow it to be closed and locked as the state probably would not appreciate supplying a fresh hatchery fish for dinner for 5000 folks ;).
A Milan neighbor of mine told me that his daughter heard they were planning to "liberate the fish". Total hearsay but hey, just what I heard. I am uber curious, but not enough to go over to check it out.

I saw an unusual sight in Gorham yesterday, two of the desert tan military versions of the Polaris 4 seat ATVs loaded with 4 each national guard soldiers in full gear driving through town. A person who might know what the background to this would only smile and say that it would be an interesting coincidence if the National Guard happened to have a presence in the area during the event. The Gorham Fourth of July 4 day activities and in general the ATV crowd in Berlin/Gorham is probably a good crowd to recruit people so it could ostensibly be just a recruiting effort but something I have never seen before. They did used to do the Stump the Hummer event at Jericho state park but that was based at Jericho and not out into the communities. ATVs would be far more practical to get around a clogged gravel road system if needed to assist than the typical armored vehicles the national guard has at their disposal.

That's right friend. It should of been turned into an historic site or park open to all . Instead of greedy yuppies.
Like the greedy kids who trashed the entire Woodstock area originally?

"Old man yells at cloud"

Like the greedy kids who trashed the entire Woodstock area originally?

"Old man yells at cloud"
Be careful what you ask for.”Hot Dog Hans” still lives!😜

• Haha
Reactions: dug
https://www.wmur.com/article/violations-rainbow-family-gathering-white-mountains-nh/44406906
I saw a new WMNF sign at a trailhead today, the list of prohibitive acts now include no marijuana possession even though state laws may say different. The Rainbows, do not condone alcohol use, but admit other psychoactive substances will be present.

I am confused, the report states Littleton police are making the busts, not sure why they should be hot spot for an event closer to Milan and Berlin

Sign at POSR says it will reopen 7/14
There are two notices on the closed POSR gate from Ingerson Rd: one by the Randolph Community Forest management (LandVest) and the other by the USFS. The first one expires on July 14. The other in October. As previously posted by others, the USFS closure warns that anyone coming within 500 ft of the closed FS roads (FR 2509 and FR 250B, at the Pond) are subject to a $5,000 fine and up to 6 months in federal prison.

News on WMUR-TV earlier today had a clip of the WMNF spokesperson saying that 16 people have been brought up on federal charges (mainly drug possession) related to the event so far.

There are two notices on the closed POSR gate from Ingerson Rd: one by the Randolph Community Forest management (LandVest) and the other by the USFS. The first one expires on July 14. The other in October. As previously posted by others, the USFS closure warns that anyone coming within 500 ft of the closed FS roads (FR 2509 and FR 250B, at the Pond) are subject to a $5,000 fine and up to 6 months in federal prison.

News on WMUR-TV earlier today had a clip of the WMNF spokesperson saying that 16 people have been brought up on federal charges (mainly drug possession) related to the event so far.
Welcome to another presumably "local" to VFTT, good to have some eyes and ears from that part of the county. I expect not a lot of folks have visited Ingerson Road, Stag Hollow road and Pond of Safety road (POSR), except those visiting Pliny and its smaller but far more scenic sub summit to the west (West Pliny ?). Hard to beat the views from the subsummit, I always wanted to spend the night up there with its hard to beat views. It is interesting to me that the WMNF had mentioned one of the proposed uses of the Pond of Safety tract when they purchased it was to build a large campgound adjacent to the pond like Dolly Copp or Russell pond.

Luckily the Jefferson resident that wanted to build the bypass around Berlin years ago didnt get his way by connecting up Stag Hollow road to Bog Dam loop road and out to RT 110