Recommendations for an Adirondack 4 Day?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Brody

Reaction score
I'm hoping to do a four day backpacking trip in the Adirondacks during the first week of November. I've ordered the ADK Mountain Club's Adirondack Sampler II with recommended trips -- but I understand that the text has mostly one and two night trips.

Does anyone have any recommended four (maybe five) day loops -- or any other forum/resource where I could get some ideas? I've done all of my backpacking in New Hampshire, Southern New York, Pennsylvania and Colorado -- and have never been to the Adirondacks. I'm looking for something in the Central/East region. . . and will hunting season be a problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not really looking to lay out a route to knock off peaks (mostly due to time of year and it being my first time in that neck of the woods). I'd like to stick to established trails and cover some ground -- I'd like to do at least 10-12 miles a day. I've been on trails in the White Mountains that were basically streams/waterfalls coming off a mountain -- and I'd like to avoid that to the extent possible. I use a tent and don't need shelters along the route. I'd like to stay away from roads and towns.

Any info. would be appreciated --- I've done some searching and it looks it's hunting season that far upstate the first week of November. Can you confirm?

Pharroe (i have no idea how to spell it) lake wilderness area. there are 2 mid size mtn's to climb and lots of trails. you could goto Ausable mtn reserve and do a loop from gate along west side trail, see all the waterfalls and climb indian head.

I think you'll have to piece your itinerary together yourself. However, do a search in the trip reports section of this forum for some inspiration. If your not looking to bag a lot of peaks consider: elk lake, pinnacle ridge, Blake, Colvin, Lower Ausable Lake, Gothics, Saddleback - Gothics col, Mt Haystack, Panther Gorge, Elk Lake. There are a couple of pieces missing I think and I really don't know if this loop is do-able in 4 days but it's certainly one to look into. Maybe it involves too many peaks.

Another, different option would be to include Duckhole in your itinerary. You could go from Cory's exiting close to Upper works going by Bradley Pond if you don't mind a wet trail.

Whatever you end up doing you're lucky to get in a 4 day-er at this time of year.

5 Ponds Wilderness

Located east of Indian Lake and west of Gore Mountain. Not really loop-able but if you could spot a car at the other end it would make a smashing four day hike. The area is quite beautiful, all falt backpacking trails, and you're likely to a) see a lot of wildlife and b) be the only ones in the area.

peace
Oysterhead

Ah yes, hunting season, that had slipped my mind. Five Ponds will probably have a higher density of hunters then say, the high peaks. If you go wear your orange!

peace
Oysterhead

Given what you posted as requirements; I would try a thru hike, comboing some of the N-P trail with Indian Pass (Wallface), and a jaunt through Avalanche pass. If you have never been to this area, it will astound you. This would be a good flat-lander hike, with some great views of the mountains. It will probably make you want to climb them... I would be interested to see what you come up with for an itinerary.

Pharoah wilderness was mentioned. This is a beautiful area, and this would be a great time of year to explore it. This area is plagued with stinging nats, and mosquitos, but it is beautiful. Since it is fall, you wont have to worry about such things. I have climbed Pharoah Mountain 4 times, once with a bike! The view of Schroon is impecable.

I have no idea what the deal with hunting is. Wear some orange, thats for sure, because even if the hunting is outlawed, there may be poachers.

-percious

Hunting

November will defiantly be in the middle of deer season in the Adirondacks. Most any place you go to that is on state land is open to hunters.

Some things to stay safe during hunting season.

Were blaze orange.
Don't were white, brown, or tan clothing
Be alert to what is around you

Thanks all for the great input. When I get my maps, I'll check out the routes outlined above and let you know what I settle on.

As for deer season in the Adirondaks, am I being stupid planning a trip this time of year? I grew up in Western Pennsylyania -- which has one if not the greatest concentrations of deer hunters in United States -- and I always just stayed out of the woods from the start of hunting season on. However, from the New York State web site, the deer harvested per square mile in the Adirondaks appears pretty low (less than two per) and I can't imagine there being too many hunters deep in the woods because they've got to haul out the carcass. I'll definitely be sporting orange.

I'll only have one car -- so is there an outfitter or other service that I could hire out to shuttle my brother and me from my car at the finish point to a start point so I could do a thru hike like the one mentioned by percious?

Well... it depends on what you want...

out of your trip.

Here's some ideas;

A hunk of the Northville-Placid trail is great- but no peaks to bag, but great scenery and solitude

The Great Range. Start at the Garden and hike the 9.1 miles to Mount Marcy and then backpack back along the spine of the Great Range. You can bag like 7 peaks. This is a hard trip, not for the unprepared. At time of the year expect any kind of weather- except summer, and alot of company.

For the less ambitious- try Pharoh Lakes wilderness.

Try a circumambulation of the West Canada Lakes area. Enter via Sled Harbor. No peaks- lots of solitude, fishing, nice leantos.

Hope I was helpfull
Cheers