Redfield - Is it best to start at Upper Works or ADK LOJ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fior1212

Reaction score
Looking for information on heading to Redfield. What is the best approach to climb this peak? From Upper Works or ADK LOJ?

I would definately start from Upper Works. When I climbed Redfield I started from the Loj and it took us 12 hours. I have passed the herd path starting from Upperworks and I bet I could have saved a few hours on my time. Enjoy the new herd path too. When I climbed it the blowdown was horrible. On a clear day the views from the summit are spectacular :)

Enjoy!

I climbed Redfield from Upper Works and had a fairly easy time of it. The trail was reasonable and I found the herd path from there pretty easy to follow. At the time, it was only about my fifth bushwack. Calamity Pond is cool place to pass, as well.

Fior,

I've only done it from the LOJ so I can't really comment on "which one" is better, but I have a pretty detailed -TRIP REPORT- on the route from the LOJ.

fwiw, You'll enjoy either way you go. Redifield is a gem :)

Fior,
While I truly believe heading in from UW is easier and less crowded (And I always like to stop at the monument at Calamity Pond), I would recommend that you also consider where you are coming from - If driving from the West or Southwest (Buffalo, Rochester, or parts of PA), it would be easier overall just heading in from UW. If you are coming from the NE, E or SE, or really feel a burning desire to visit the Hikers and Campers building, then I could see starting from the Loj.
Good luck on your decision and enjoy your hike
Rick

I have passed the herd path starting from Upperworks and I bet I could have saved a few hours on my time

Is this herd path from Upper Works different than the herd path starting from Uphill Lean-to ? If so, any details on where to pick it up ???

Thanks,
Bob

rdl said:
Is this herd path from Upper Works different than the herd path starting from Uphill Lean-to ? If so, any details on where to pick it up ???

Thanks,
Bob
The only herd path I know of (from reading the McMartin book) starts very close to the LT. We did it in winter so there is a good chance that we weren't exactly on the path. From Upper Works you follow a marked trail all the way to the beginning of the herd path.

Neil,
When I read that, I was thinking Adam was referring to hiking Cliff and Redfield together (which once was common) and taking the winter trail up Cliff from the back of Flowed Lands. Now that I think about it, I find I am I am scratching my head. :)

Rick,
I thought that Adam meant he did Redfield from the Loj then on another occasion he hiked from UW to another destination which took him past the Redfield turnoff whereupon he noticed it was not as far compared to the Loj.

Clarification

All I meant was is that hiking in from UW to where the herd path begins is faster as opposed to hiking in from the Loj. Still same herd path. Sorry for any confusion. :eek:

Yes Neil read my post right!

It took my group 3h15m to go from the Loj to Feldspar LT (6.6 mi.) Add another 0.5 mi to Uphill and about 15 minutes. UW to Uphill LT is 7.5 mi. and seems to take longer than 3 1/2 hours. Elevation gain is about the same. I prefer the route in from the Loj.