Redfield via Lake Arnold & Feldspar Lean-to

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crysdale

Reaction score
Is the route to Redfield from the Loj (via Lake Arnold and Feldspar Brook Lean-to) currently feasible? Or is everything still underwater after the two weeks of rain? I see no trip reports that are based on this route. Makes me wonder.

Thanks for any guidance on this question.

Cheers!

Redfield

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that I can leave the snorkel and flippers at home. I do like the route from the south. The choice this time is driven by the overnight accommodations. But next time...

Has anyone tried this by going the long way around Lake Colden or past Wallface? I was thinking about this the last time I had my ADK High Peaks map out as I did the Lake Arnold trip in 2005. While the other is longer, it's flatter & I'd guess would have better footing. yes, No, comments?

Crysdale said:
Is the route to Redfield from the Loj (via Lake Arnold and Feldspar Brook Lean-to) currently feasible?
On Sunday, blowdown and drainage ditches were cleared by my one of son's crew. It should be in decent condition.

Mike P. said:
Has anyone tried this by going the long way around Lake Colden or past Wallface? I was thinking about this the last time I had my ADK High Peaks map out as I did the Lake Arnold trip in 2005.
Wallface? I've done it from Upper works, and going through Avalanche Pass. Lake Arnald is, by far, the quickest... at least if the additional climbing doesn't slow you down that much.

By way of Avalanche Pass to Lake Colden then up is next fastest, but the trip around Avalanche Lake is slow.

If you want to go by wallface, you have a long rocky climb into Indian Pass, and then another ascent over the col between Marshall and Iroquois. That would be tough.

If you are a trail runner, I it may be fastest from Upper Works. Several miles longer, but almost all flat and good trail.

There is really only one consideration in deciding how to approach Redfield and Cliff. That is, what would I like to sit on during my inevitable morning pre-hike "rest stop". At Upper Works there are splinters :( , at the Adirondack Loj there are porcelain seats (warm in winter) :). Enough said.