Redington/S & N Crocker revisited on 11th Feb.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
Wanted to follow Réjean’s footsteps to bag those 3 pks on Monday 11th Feb., having off work that day, but 8+ inches of fresh snow during night scrapped that plan.

Off at 04h15. Temps were cold, at least -15 C° with strong winds. Bare hands and exposed face froze in less than 1 min. Succeeded to tag all 3 peaks but was a hard one. Took 12h15 total hiking time to cover the 20 or so miles with 6 to 10’’ of snow to brake, but good consolidated base on AT and of course on CVR due to snowmobiles. I followed CVR to Y fork at pond, turned right for slightly less than 1 mile with 30+ mph wind straight on (horribly cold), turned right to height of land (road starts to swing right there), turned left on smaller logging (ATV, snowmobile road) that I followed to height of land (col between Redington & S. Crocker).

Then bwk to left up Red. After about 500 yds came apon trail going straight to summit, reached at 10h15. Wind tower base still on ground and visible through snow. On way down noticed that trail verred to east but ignore where it leads to. Followed my tracks to col and then bwk up S. Crocker. Initially somewhat thick but eases off higher up. Nonetheless was no picnic often sinking almost waist deep in snow (dam spruce traps).

Was on S. Crocker summit at 12h30 and on N. Crocker summit at 13h20. Here and there on AT saw faint remnants of snowshoes tracks. « J’ai pensé à toi mon Réjean ». Too bad I couldn’t accompany you on Sat. Had good views on summits (Éternelle clin d’oeil à toi Dominique) but I didn’t linger due to cold temps with wind. Was back to S. Crocker by 14h10 and on CVR by 15h30.

Succeeded not to lose trail but I agree with you Réjean that following the AT in winter is not for greeners and one must be prepared to bwk out. The 4½ m. or so road walk out was awfully long for my by then tired legs. Off by 16h45 and home by 21h00. Looking forward to doing the Bigelows with you soon Réjean.

Pierre

Another amazing hike Pierre and congratulation for the 3 peaks. :)