REI 20% Discount

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great, but in general I think their merchandise it terribly overpriced. Does anyone here actually pay over $200 for a windbreaker? Let's get real...a $25 windbreaker and a $35 dollar fleece can give you a similar "systems" jacket. I think we're being duped! Whatever you buy, it's mostly all made in China, El Salvador, etc. for pennies on the dollar.

smh444 said:
Does anyone here actually pay over $200 for a windbreaker? Let's get real...a $25 windbreaker and a $35 dollar fleece can give you a similar "systems" jacket.

SMH - You raise an interesting point. I know that now, if I need a piece of gear I am going to buy something that is well made from a manufacturer with a staunch reputation for quality. I also want gear that has some thought put into it, such as being able to put my hands in pockets while my pack is on or being able to unzip them while my pack is on, or having sealed seams or perhaps having a hood that articulates and moves with my head... or a fleece that doesn't have seams constantly unraveling, material that completely flatterns out or pills after a couple of washings....

I know most women I have hiked with would gladly pay extra for hiking clothes that fit better, rather than companies using mens patterns, but smaller.

Having bought quite a bit of cheap gear over the years, I now strongly beleive you get what you pay for. I now buy sparingly, but I buy usually items that I beleive will last and don't mind paying a premium for it, but will always exhaust my chances at clearing houses before paying retail.
Others share different values in their purchasing patterns - For some it is functionality or utility value, others it is durability, still others it could be perception (or confidence building) and still others it is fashion, appearances...

BTW, if we apply your theory to autos, wouldn't we all be driving AMC Pacers or Gremlins or "gasp" yugos :)

Last edited:
Well, you may have a point. My thought was that with clothing, you run into diminishing returns fairly quickly. That said, they're pricing this stuff to maximize their profit...enough people are buying the sales pitch.

I too grab any overpriced item that I can - usually at a heavily discounted price, out of season. But pay full retail? Not a chance.

I tend to like both REI and EMS. You just have to be a little smart and look out for some things... For instance, both REI and EMS make a lot of poly-pro things like glove liners, underwear, base layers, and stuff. Unfortunately, I always seem to find that they only have black in stock. I dislike black hiking/climbing gear. You can never find it in your pack or differentiate between items when rummaging around, and it is more difficult to label it so your friends don't take your stuff! I wish both stores would offer more neon stuff, like scarves! Then maybe Lincoln, NH would look more like Chamonix!

overpriced outdoor gear stores

I think both REI and EMS are overpriced , as are most other outdoor gear stores. I shop exclusively on www.Sierratradingpost.com, they have gear discounted from 30-70% off regular prices. They are cheap because most of the gear is closeouts from the previous year.

On the other hand, when there is a problem with an order with REI, its nice to see a quick email solution which originated in the US-- unlike Amazon.

Speaking of STP:

Free shipping over $75, expires 11/1/04

code: LSC931

Worked for me a few weeks ago..

I do shop at STP a bit, but consider that it is 30-70% off MSRP. What is good is those bargain basement items, if you are an odd size, can either wear an XS or an XL, you can find some awesome deals there.

REI-Outlet, STP, overstock, MEC.CA, Campmor with NYNJTC, EMS (twice a year ;) ) and offseason is where I shop.

Jay

YOu can often find good deals on REI's website in their close out area. Campmor can also have good web deals. I gave up on Sierra Trading. They have never had anything I wanted in stock.

Jay H said:
Speaking of STP:

Free shipping over $75, expires 11/1/04

code: LSC931

Worked for me a few weeks ago..

I do shop at STP a bit, but consider that it is 30-70% off MSRP. What is good is those bargain basement items, if you are an odd size, can either wear an XS or an XL, you can find some awesome deals there.

REI-Outlet, STP, overstock, MEC.CA, Campmor with NYNJTC, EMS (twice a year ;) ) and offseason is where I shop.

Jay

What is STP? What is the web address?

Sierra Trading Post is at:
sierratradingpost.com

Last edited: