Rescue on Franconia Ridge Saturday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
While up on the summit of Cannon on Saturday (Mar 18) one of the ski patrol guys said that there was a rescue in progress of someone with either a broken ankle or leg, the team currently at the junction of Skookumchuck and Garfield Ridge. It was not known if the injured person had yet been reached.

Anyone know anything more?

I am also trying to obtain info on this. A guy at works sons were part of a 3 day trip on the Ridge over the weekend and they have not heard from them. They contacted the NH State Police who mentioned the resuce to them. What he told me was a group from VT assisted in carrying down somebody, but didn't know. Any info to help relax my work friend would be appreciated.

When we drove by the trail head this morning at 6:30 we saw tow pickup truck parked there - couldn't tell if they had been there overnight or not.

Brian spoke with someone who said that the Canon Mountain Rescue crew had been mobilized to help with the litter carry. The guy supposedly wasn't wearing crampons and fell somewhere near the Hut and the carry was expected to take a while. I forget what else the guy said to Brian but will find out if there was anything else I missed hearing about.

sli74

I couldn't find it on the web, but news last night said something about a person at the top of the Skookumchuck trail with a leg injury. Rescuers reached him at 6pm. Haven't heard more.

When we drove by we saw a bunch of Fish and Game trucks at that trailhead, apparently preparing to go up for some sort of rescue. I haven't heard anything else. That was around 4:00pm.

The hiker will be ok. From the Greenfield, MA Recorder.

Monday, March 20, 2006
Life-saving mountain rescue: Six local men pull stranded hiker out of White Mountains
By JEREMY DIRAC, Recorder Staff

TURNERS FALLS — Beware of lending Greenfield native James Hall your coat.

A friend let Hall borrow his $400 coat for a backpacking trip in the White Mountains of New Hampshire this weekend. Hall came back Sunday with the coat in shreds.

But you might say it went to a good cause. It helped save a man’s life.

On Saturday, within seconds of finding a Connecticut man with his leg broken in two places and suffering from hypothermia near the summit of Lafayette Mountain, six men quickly started peeling off their warm layers, in 6-degree weather amidst 50 mile-per-hour winds, to cover him.

In winds so harsh that you needed goggles to keep the dust out of your eyes, Jonathan Hall took off all his upper layers but the thin shirt underneath.

Hall was the first to see Jerry Wagner lying near the summit of Lafayette Mountain. Wagner’s snow-cleats had gotten stuck in a crack in a rock, causing his leg to break. Hall said Wagner pulled himself 10 yards uphill to get to a spot on the trail where he hoped he would be seen.

Six members of Grace Church in Turners Falls, three brothers, James, Jonathan and Jesse Hall, along with their friends Matthew Howe, Seay Minor and Kenneth Millotte, who were camping together in the Presidential Range, covered the man so they could barely see his face. They put six hot pads on him, three hats and two coats.

Wagner had been there for an hour when the six found him. He called 911 at 1:20 p.m., assistant pastor at Grace Church, Matthew Howe said.

“At the hospital (they) were saying there’s no way he would have survived,” Millotte said. Rescue workers told Millotte it probably would have taken too long — eight hours — to get to Wagner.

Fortunately for Wagner, he got a fairly qualified group of people to rescue him. Two of the six, Minor and Jonathan Hall, have EMT training. They constructed a splint for Wagner’s leg. James Hall has training being a first responder in outdoor wilderness.

“I’ll tell you, it was no mistake that we were where we were, when,” Minor said.

Using Hall’s friend’s coat as a sled, the six dragged the 195-pound man for 4½ hours in a painfully slow process that they called “the Jerry Pull.”

“It had a little cadence, one-two-three, then pull,” Jesse Hall said. Hall was one of the musclemen of the group, some of which came from his exercises at boot camp. “It took awhile to get a rhythm.”

The Jerry Pull consisted of two men grabbing his arms and one grabbing his legs and dragging. Each drag could only be done for so long because your fingers have only so much strength and you’re using them to pull Wagner along by his coat sleeves, Minor said.

Carrying him wasn’t feasible for the six, firstly because of Wagner’s weight, secondly because the ice and rocks aren’t easy to navigate even if you’re not carrying someone.

Minor said that it was a bit scary pulling Wagner because they were afraid of stepping on him with their crampons, sharp boot attachments made for hiking on ice, which could start him bleeding.

As they pulled him, Jonathan and Jesse Hall kept headbutting each other. Pulling Wagner along the trail sent snow from tree branches over Wagner’s body, which they wiped off periodically.

Wagner stayed quiet throughout the ordeal, calling all six of them “Jesse,” after a relative, Minor said.

They ended up dragging Wagner nearly halfway down the mountain when a rescue crew of about a dozen people arrived to take Wagner the rest of the way.

That night, instead of going back to camp, the six stayed in a hotel, making a special visit to the hot tub.

Jesse Hall told the others that he found muscles aching that he never knew existed.

On Sunday, the six retrieved their packs from the top of Mount Lafayette. They also paid a visit to Wagner, who had frostbite at the tips of his fingers and a titanium rod implanted into his leg.

At about 6:30 Sunday evening, the six returned to Grace Church to drop off their goods and found family and friends greeting them with a banner and pizza.

As of Sunday evening, James Hall’s friend was still unaware of the condition of his coat.

Amazing story but the reporter must have mixed up some of the facts cause he mentions the Presidential Range in his story?

That will be something all of them will likely remember and carry with them all their life.

Thanks for the update!

sli74

sli74 said:
Amazing story but the reporter must have mixed up some of the facts cause he mentions the Presidential Range in his story?
sli74

Don't you remember President Lafayette?

Seriously, I am really glad these 6 people were there to help with the rescue and the story had a happy ending. Cudo's to the Sensational Six.

Now let's talk about solo hiking in the winter again.....

I am glad this had a happier ending than the wife of the couple that succumbed to hypothermia after waiting out 2 days for rescue in a snow cave on Lafayette in nearly the same location on I believe March 21-23, 2004. So that is practically two years ago to the day - scary. I was across the way in Lonesome Lake Hut watching helicopters circling and circling all day March 22 to no avail. I knew something was going on but until later that night we found out from the hut caretaker the story. That night it dropped to zero at the hut, so I can imagine how cold it got up near the Lafayette summit. The rescue took place on March 23rd when they were spotted.

Wow. Thanks so much for following up and posting that story. Amazing how just a few sentences heard from a patroller turned out to be such an adventure, and fortunately one with a happy ending.

Kudos to those guys! They did everything right. Great follow-up too. Contrast their actions to the creep who ran over Sherpa Kroto - what a difference.

Pucknuts61 said:
Don't you remember President Lafayette?

Seriously, I am really glad these 6 people were there to help with the rescue and the story had a happy ending. Cudo's to the Sensational Six.

Now let's talk about solo hiking in the winter again.....

The fact that rescuers were CAMPING in the Presidential Range, does not prohibit them from HIKING in the Franconia Range.

Besides, who cares about little details.

Your welcome MichaelJ et al.

Last edited:
Thanks. I found the thread after clicking to the other forum. Hopefully he'll have a complete and quick recovery.

At the risk of sounding preachy, it seems logical that VFTT would be likely source of recruits for Pemi S&R. Harness some of this awesome above tree line talent we have lurking this site. While there's always going to be the dummies who get in trouble, it is inevitable that bad things will happen to even the most skilled and well prepaired winter enthusiasts. It's been inspiring to follow folks advancement. I hope some of the members that have been advancing their above tree line winter skills to take it to the next level S&R and share their experiences in S&R with the online community.