Review of Mountaineering Training with Adventure Spirit Guides in Huntington Ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritter

Reaction score
My hiking crew and I hope to make an unguided attempt to climb Mount Rainier this summer. We knew that we had a lot of skills to learn before we headed to the mountain. Therefore we recently headed to Huntington Ravine for a weekend of mountaineering training with Kel Rossiter from Adventure Spirit Rock + Ice + Alpine Experiences. We covered everything from self arrest to crevasse rescue, roped travel, avalanche awareness and rescue.

If you are thinking about using a guide for mountaineering education then you might find this review helpful.

http://www.newenglandoutside.com/2012/03/mountaineering-training-in-huntington.html

My hiking crew and I hope to make an unguided attempt to climb Mount Rainier this summer. We knew that we had a lot of skills to learn before we headed to the mountain. Therefore we recently headed to Huntington Ravine for a weekend of mountaineering training with Kel Rossiter from Adventure Spirit Rock + Ice + Alpine Experiences. We covered everything from self arrest to crevasse rescue, roped travel, avalanche awareness and rescue.

If you are thinking about using a guide for mountaineering education then you might find this review helpful.

http://www.newenglandoutside.com/2012/03/mountaineering-training-in-huntington.html

What a great review. Thanks for describing your experiences in detail. This looks like a top-notch training program; I'd like to take this course, or something very much like it, next winter.

Sounds pretty thorough. If you don't mind my asking what was the cost per person? I might consider an intermediate course similar to that some weekend next winter. Wise choice getting some training before going out there. I went with a few more experienced friends and despite learning a lot, realized I had much to learn...

IMG_2157_stitch.jpg

Ingraham Flats from DC

What a great review. Thanks for describing your experiences in detail. This looks like a top-notch training program; I'd like to take this course, or something very much like it, next winter.

I wish you the best of luck in your outdoor education! what sort of peaks do you aspire to climb?

Sounds pretty thorough. If you don't mind my asking what was the cost per person? I might consider an intermediate course similar to that some weekend next winter. Wise choice getting some training before going out there. I went with a few more experienced friends and despite learning a lot, realized I had much to learn...

IMG_2157_stitch.jpg

Ingraham Flats from DC

The course was $250 per person and that included all of the technical gear that we didn't own, like avalanche transponders, probes, technical tools etc. The cool thing about it was that the content was totally customized to my group's needs and that we had the guide's undivided attention for 2 straight days.

Did you climb Rainier before? If so awesome! That is a nice pic, there doesn't seem to be anything flat about Inghram Flats!