Ringing in the New Year on Franconia Ridge - 1-1-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobH

Reaction score
Saturday night I was still looking for plans for the weekend. None of my regular friends that I drag out hiking with me have winter gear. At least, not that involve going uphill. ;) Before I went out partying on New Year's Eve, I noticed damselfly had posted on the T&E forum about a Franconia Ridge loop. I had recently applied to the AMC volunteer program to adopt the Falling Waters trail so I figured, what better way to kick off the year then a little scouting. Damselfly and I exchanged emails and a phone call, and we planned to meet at the OBP trailhead around 7:30. We geared up and shortly were on the trail. The conditions were unseasonably warm. The recent rain had left a solid coating of ice, so we put on microspikes in the parking lot and didn't remove them until we were far down off the ridge (some of us left them on until we arrived back at the lot). We made good time, stopping to shed a layer around the first water crossing on the FW trial. Everyone was in good spirits and we laughed and chatted as we gained elevation and took in the scenery around us.

The rain had caused rivulets of water to cascade down the rocks, which then froze and frosted over, creating a really cool pattern.

IMG_20120101_083103.jpg

Cloudland falls looked more like it was coming out of a spring thaw as opposed to early January.

IMG_20120101_083139.jpg

After the water crossings, we kept a good pace, stopping to take a few snack breaks and sneak views through the trees behind us. Cannon's cliffs were hidden at times by a few clouds, and eventually as we got higher up the clouds started getting thicker behind us. Then we hit tree line.

Looking back to Lonesome Lake.

IMG_20120101_101924.jpg

Pano from Little Haystack

IMG_20120101_103100-IMG_20120101_103140.jpg

With temps in the 30's, wind in the single digits, and views like this, needless to say we took our time!

As the clouds started lapping at the summit pyramid of Lincoln, we continued on.

IMG_20120101_103042.jpg

On trail between Little Haystack and Lincoln.

IMG_20120101_105017.jpg

Just before the summit of Lincoln, we were suddenly in a cloud.

IMG_20120101_112404.jpg

It didn't last long though, we dropped down below the summit and had a break, layered up a bit, and started moving on. Here is where we started running into other people. Someone doing a solo loop in the other direction. Most people were wearing full crampons. All in all I think we figured we ran into about 15-20 total throughout the day. After about 15 minutes of being socked in, we were again treated to an undercast.

IMG_20120101_113204.jpg

Approaching Lafayette

IMG_20120101_115948.jpg

The rime was beautiful.

IMG_20120101_120927.jpg

Dragon Spine.

IMG_20120101_121115.jpg

cont'd

Across to the Presis from Lafayette.

IMG_20120101_121209.jpg

Cloud explosions.

IMG_20120101_124045.jpg

We dropped down into the clouds and stopped at the hut for a snack, a break, and to change layers.

A little way down the ridge on Old Bridle Path, we were below the clouds and got some views through and under the overcast.

IMG_20120101_133301.jpg

Shining Rock.

IMG_20120101_133419.jpg

Once we dropped down a bit below the ridge, we were treated to a nice exit walk through sunlit hardwoods. About a mile from the car the ice was soft from the warm temps and some of us decided to shed the spikes. It was still slick but most of the ice was avoidable. After the hike we wound down with drinks and apps at the Woodstock Inn.

Thanks to Beth, Steve, Ken, Karen and Karen for letting me join in for an unforgettable day in the mountains!

Full Album:

https://plus.google.com/photos/113151684718025230301/albums/5693065144402792401

Last edited:
Reactions: bjc
Thanks for sharing, another great day of undercast clouds on the ridge. There seems to be a pattern of late with the clouds, and its beautiful. My favorite picture of this bunch is looking back over the ridge (first set).

Thanks for sharing, another great day of undercast clouds on the ridge. There seems to be a pattern of late with the clouds, and its beautiful. My favorite picture of this bunch is looking back over the ridge (first set).

Thanks DM! I saw you had a similar day up there recently too. What an amazing place, especially if you catch it on the right day. :)

outstanding! thanks for posting! the "Dragon's Spine" image is just awesome :)

Agreed! Those are some of the most amazing undercast photos I've ever seen!

Nice hike!

Yeah, I was glad that one came out well. The cloud color below the sun, I thought, wouldn't show. Boy was I wrong! Thanks :D

Great report Jacob. Glad you could join us. Hope we can all do some more hiking together soon!
K&K