RMC Redlining Adventures pt1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maineman

Reaction score
Q: "How do you eat an elephant?"

A: "One bite at a time!"

The RMC has constructed a beautiful spider web of trails in the Northern Presis and after this trip, only 1.3 miles remain!

I drove up from Portland and arrived at Appalachia at about 10:00pm. I switched on my trusty headlamp, shouldered my pack and headed up the trail. I felt like I was back on the PCT - I was carrying four days worth of food and my camping gear plus a couple of liters of water.

The Sylvan Way, like many RMC trails is a road less travelled with a wonderfully soft foot bed unlike the poor Valley Way. I reached the falls and scrambled down to check them out, recent rains made them quite inpressive.

Time to head south toward the junction of the Kelton & Inlook trails. There are several steep sections and my calves enjoyed their workout. A full moon provided an excellent backdrop for looking out through the stunted trees on top of the ridge. At Kelton Crag I enjoyed the view into Bumpus Basin (such a fun name to say) and took a break.

Back to work - soon I reached Dome Rock. I had made good time to here and decided I'd poke around for a bivy site. Some searching around revealed a perfect tiny flat spot away from the trail to spend my evening.

I slept in until almost 9am, had a quick breakfast and then headed south once again, headed toward the Watson Path junction, which quickly came & went. Up to the Valley Way and then down until reaching the Scaur Trail junction. It was a very steep hike up to the Scaur Loop junction. I kept left until I rejoined the loop, dropped my pack and then went back down the same section, then all the way to the lower Valley Way junction, back up to the loop which I then completed, finally arriving back at my pack.

I groaned as I put my pack back on and began the grind up to the Airline. At the Airline junction I met a father/son team headed up to the huts and we chatted a bit. My initial plan had been to descend to the Short Line but the weather was perfect and I felt strong so I chose to climb instead.

I think there is some disruption in time/space fabric on the Airline because it always seems to take FOREVER to complete each section. I reached the Chemin Des Dames and took a deep breath as I started down. Dropping 800 feet in 0.4 miles, this was a workout of epic proportions. I heard my own voice from several years ago saying "Even though this is the shortest trail off of the ridge, I need to remember never to hike DOWN this trail!" Too late.

After a minor eternity (and the shifting of a few dryer-sized rocks) I reached the floor of King Ravine. Clambering down the boulder strewn trail I looked forward to a nice cold drink and a head soaking at Mossy Falls which was a near religious experience.

Now the trail got really rough and wet as I made my way toward the Log Cabin cutoff. The cabin itself was as dark and dingy as I remember. Next up was the Cabin-Cascades Trail - a seldom used trail, even by RMC standards. I reached The Link and continued my long circular arc around Mt Adams girthy waistline.

At the Castle Ravine trail junction I was tired and decided to skip the climb of Emerald Bluff today. The long descent down Castle Ravine Trail was quite pleasant since I don't mind tromping through rivers with my shoes on! Just another reason I love trail runners and despise boots. I dunked myself into the next to last river crossing to improve the smell for any potential ride-givers on my hitch back to my car.

I stuck my thumb out and was instantly picked up by a nice guy named Dion who was headed to Berlin - thanks man!

Back at the car I planned my next adventure for the week - some Killkenny redlines!

RMC Redlining Adventures pt2

After an absolute deluge overnight I decided to head back home and grab my good friend Pete for the next trip of the week. Pete & I have section-hiked the AT from NJ-Katahdin together over the years.

As we drove through Gorham I spied an obvious thru-hiker walking out of town and offered him a ride to the AT. His trail name was Fly-Fisherman and he was quite appreciative!

We started out in the rain from Appalachia once again, this time taking The Link toward White Cliff. A trail crew was hard at work repairing the totally eroded, washed out trail I encountered the last time I passed this way - thanks guys!

The junction with the Cliffway took forever to appear but we were rewarded for our efforts, the view from White Cliff is pretty sweet. Now down the Laddeback trail to it's junction with the Monaway, the back up to the jct and now around the Cliffway Loop through an emerald wonderland.

We crossed the Amphibrach and then turned right onto the Randolph Path. Soon we reached the base of the Spur Trail and the climbing began in earnest. Up, up, up to the Hincks Tr jct then keep right and climb endlessly to Crag Camp. Sadly there were no views today but we had our lunch and then took the spur to Gray Knob. We had a nice conversation with the caretaker, also a redliner!

The Hincks Trail provided a good test of our braking power as it plunges down the mountain to the Randolph Path, which we followed to the Valley Way junction. I took the Randolph Path all the way to it's trailhead and Pete went down to Appalachia to grab the car and come meet me.

Another great redlining journey complete - only 1.4 miles left in the N. Presis!

So, I have to ask - where are the 1.3 (or 1.4) miles you have left?