Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Endurance Run: February 5-6, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“As soon as you reach the finish line,” they replied. “You will bring the sunrise with you.”

Now that's a beautiful statement.

Congrats Larisa! There is even greater accomplishment in looking back, as you have done, and seeing how far the human spirit and will can take us. Always a pleasure to read your exploits.

Yeah the sunrise one is awesome it is a common theme with a lot of races and timing yourself and bringing new energy. I knew you guys were Potential Humans!

Thank you to all of you for the kind words. I was not sure if there would be much interest in a running race report here on VFTT, but since this event was so life-changing for me I felt compelled to write one.

One week out on the race, and my recovery is going remarkably well. I went on my first post-Rocky run yesterday during lunch, and definitely could feel some lingering fatigue... but no aches and pains other than a pair of tight IT bands!

I've received a few questions from folks regarding training, nutrition, etc. which I'll do my best to answer now:

How did you train for an ultra distance event?
The truth of the matter is that I didn't do anything special to prepare for this event. Given that I signed up for the race in mid-October, I didn't have much time at all to develop a comprehensive training plan. I ran about 25-35 miles total on the weekdays, and then hiked on weekends. My longest run prior to Rocky was a 50 mile race on November 5. Other than that, I didn't get anything more than 20 miles in.

I should mention that January WAS a very solid month for me - 243 miles of hiking, running, and cross training. Nothing more than 15 miles at a time, though.

So without the big runs, how did I get through this? Well, I attribute most of my success in the race to hiking. I think that people really underestimate the value of just spending time on your feet, regardless of pace. I've put in some LONG days over the past few years, and I truly believe that those grueling days out on the trail helped me to establish a solid endurance base.

What did you eat/drink during the race?
I mostly ate what was offered to me at aid stations! During the day, I really enjoyed M&Ms, fig newtons, PB&J, and pizza :rolleyes:. I also tried to take at least one gel/hour, and would eat Honey Stinger bars that I brought with me. At night, I started to find it tough to eat real food, so I stuck to chicken noodle soup and Mountain Dew. Yummy combination, huh?

My drink of choice was Hammer Perpetuem. I am officially in love with the stuff. During the race I had no stomach issues to speak of which is unusual for me. Given that Perpetuem was the only big change I made to my race nutrition, I do believe that the drink helped to keep my stomach happy all day... will need to race with it a few more times though to confirm this though.

What are you planning next?
My next big race will be the Vermont 100. I had the pleasure of running the 100k event last summer and I can't wait to return for the 100 miler. Now that I know I'm capable of running 100 miles, my goal at VT will be to finish the race within 24 hours. Training for a sub-24 will be hard, but I'm pretty driven to achieve this and I'll do my best to turn my dream into reality...

Other than that, I'd love to try to break 9 hours on the Pemi Loop this year, and FINALLY get around to doing a single day Hut Traverse. Oh, and try to continue working away at my Grid, though I'm really making poor progress there... ;)

Last edited:
Larisa, Thanks so much for sharing this! It's an incredible, inspirational account of the three of you doing something amazing and being selflessly committed to each other and doing it in style! Just amazing to imagine that pace for so long knowing the injuries you and Rob have overcome recently!

I think that people really underestimate the value of just spending time on your feet, regardless of pace. I've put in some LONG days over the past few years, and I truly believe that those grueling days out on the trail helped me to establish a solid endurance base.
cheers to that.