Roll-ups

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
I've just come back from doing some solo rolling practicing in a local lake . I stay near the edges of the shore as I practice. Having just learned how to roll this past June....I thought to myself now I will go up north and spend the summer rolling and playing in the surf up there in the St Lawrence.
Ahhh..but in reality I only practicied a time or two in the begining of the summer and we really don't have surf ...plenty of chop though.
Many a time I have thought I was going to "go over" and I tense up like crazy. I stilll think I would bail out (wet exit) even if I know how to roll back up. I just don't think I would stay cool calm and collected.
Any of you been dumped out of your boat in open water??
.......Roll or no.... ?

Neither of us every dumped other than in skill practice, however we have rescued many who have on group paddles. Have a solid roll under the conditions that you really, really need it takes lots and lots of practice. Talking ocean boats here. Prctice your rolling skills, but smpend more time learning how to brace so you can prevent needing to roll :>

spider solo said:
Any of you been dumped out of your boat in open water??
.......Roll or no.... ?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no... as noted, it takes a LOT of practice to have it become reflexive. You should also practice a wet re-entry with a paddle float.

I've been sea kayaking for double digit years and I have always had the bragging rights of saying that I had never gone over unintentionally...until this summer. Shizzmac, Bob, Carmel, and I were surfing 3' waves that were breaking over a sandbar about a 1/2 mile from shore. I was riding a nice sized wave and there was a sailboat going between me and shore and there were several people on the back of the sailboat that were cheering me on. I surfed it straight for a while and was doing well and feel really cool with the people on the boat cheering. Then my boat swung around hard to the left and I was broadside before I knew it. I did a high brace right into the wave and kept from going over. I rode the wave broadside for a while and figured I would just go sideways until the end of the break and then be able to paddle away. Bam. Next thing I new I was underwater. I released the skirt and bailed out. I have no idea what happened and what caused me to flip.

It was the first time I've ever gone over unintentionally. Bragging right gone.

It was a yardsale. I kept ahold of my yak and paddle, but my paddle float, pump, and water bottle were floating away. I was able to collect my float and pump. Shizzmac was going to assist me and do a 2 man re-entry. He asked me if he should help me first or go get my water bottle. I asked him to get my water bottle and then come back for me. He went to get the bottle and promptly flipped over. 2 men in the water. Ha.

I did a solo re-entry. I forget how shizzmac got back in - solo or maybe Bob or Carmel helped him.

It prompted us to do a 2-person and solo re-entry clinic for Carmel later that day. I also tightened up all my deck bungies to prevent future yardsales.

Good times.

- darren

Before I learned to roll I have went over a few times. One of them just being an ass, others just from playing in the surf and learning how to brace myself during a bongo ride. But since I taught myself how to roll I've only gone over unintentionally while playing in some serious surf on one day... that I can remember.

The story goes: ;)
During some storm this summer I was up in RI south of Narragansett - the surf was pretty intimidating - had to go through a couple of 2-3' waves and then there was the 8' waves... and then you were finally clear.
After my friend and I cleared the surf I decided to go back between the second 2' break and the 8' break just for the fun of it. Most of the time I would just wait for the 8'er to break and then I'd just go over it head on. Well, my timing was off after a few waves and it was too late to go over it and too late to back away so the wave broke right onto my chest sending me over.
My paddle was high in the air so now it was low underwater. It took me a little while while upside down to get it to the setup position. On my 3rd try I got up... and luckily there wasn't another wave crashing in my face when I did :D

It was a good lesson and a good opportunity to try out my combat roll, which is kind of what I wanted to test. It was trial by fire and I'm really glad I "passed" since it would be pretty tricky to get back in in that rough water, and since the swells were so high my friend didn't even see me go over. :eek:

darren said:
Bam. Next thing I new I was underwater. I released the skirt and bailed out. I have no idea what happened and what caused me to flip.
Which side did you fall to? Towards the wave or away from it?

I've been caught by surprise before by waves that just lose power, so-to-speak. They just stop churning and supporting my brace, and since I'm leaning into the wave already the sudden loss of brace support makes me go right over.

Then again it could just be the hand of Neptune flipping you over ;) :D

I honestly couldn't remember if I had gone over on the wave side (lost support of brace) or if I went over on the other side (not enough brace and the wave pushed me over). It was like I was suddenly just underwater and I was like "huh? this never happens!?!?" :D

I'd like to go with the Neptune theory.

- darren

I've gone over once unintentionally. I was very new at Kayaking and the VfTT kayak klan was spending a day at Darren's lovely house after paddling the Naragansett on Memorial Day as mentioned before. I was playing in the small surf by Darren's launch down the road from his house when I was having too much fun trying to see how fast I could surf, wound up turning the boat and over I went. Not sure if I even knew a good brace then but it happened fast anyway. Strangely enough, Laura M did a sympathy capsize too not 5 minutes more so perhaps it is contageous? :)

I'm still learning the roll, but never have time to practice and many times I'm out there solo (locally)

Jay

Ha. I remember that 2 flip day. Now that was adventure on the high seas! Actually it was fairly calm and Laura had never flipped unintentionally up to that point, so she lost her bragging rights that day. :D

Speaking of Laura.....she hasn't been on the site in a year. Anyone still talk to her?

- darren

Warren and I stayed at her house when we launched from Stockton harbor... She's doing fine, just got married and quite busy. Yeah, she doesn't really check VfTT anymore, but then again, she hasn't done a lot of hiking or kayaking that much either, from what she told us.

Jay

still practicing

These warm days/warm water finds me down on the pond still practicing those roll-ups. Warmer water here than I have seen all summer so it makes it far more enjoyable.
"They" always say...be sure to practice with the equipment your going to use ....like the spare paddle for example.
I have three paddles that I like. The one I learn with (Toksook) which is a long one ,then a ultra light and a short one.
Practicing tiping over... out of form and out of position etc... I noticed how hard it is to move the paddle around under water...trying to get in a favorite set up position....well, any position. Sometimes or often it is taught never to change your hand position...that didn't seem all that practical with the most difficult paddle... the ultra light.
My 1st try was unsuccesfull...underwater I passed the blade end for end and tried again...and failed.
I think it was on my fourth try that I came up ok...and looking quickly at my paddle which I had swapped end for end right for left etc...I was a little surprised when it showed itself "upside down and backwards".
I thought that was a pretty good reality check...with all the different paddle shapes and sizes I was glad I kept trying the same blade in different ways till it all came together and up I came ...it was nice "panic control" practice.

One time just after finishing up from my 1st rolling instruction..I capsized as we started to head back to the shore.
I tried to push off from the bottom..it was muddy. Soon the instructors boat is within reach and I grab it (hand of God I think they call it).
Everything is fne ..I'm up..no wet exit... except...somethings missing...my paddle actually.
I was completely clueless where it was (not my 1st time ever being clueless, mind you).
Then it came to me...pushing off in the mud...was the last time I had seen it.
Sure enough my paddle was stuck under water... flat down in the mud...would still be there but for a stroke of luck in finding it.

Last edited:
Well, I do know the "Hand of God" rescue is not what you did, There is a "bow rescue" where if you have a friend and some peace of mind as well as pre-arranged terms, a friend can kayak towards you and with you with your hands above the water on both sides sliding it fore and aft, your friend puts his bow into your hands and then you grab and right yourself up. Obviously, this is an assisted rescue. The Hand of God is for those that may be unconscious or unable to either wet exit or roll. Basically, your friend kayaks parallel to your upturned boat and reaches all the way over to the other side of your boat and literally tries to grab the coaming and with weight and balance, flip you over (to the outside of your friend's boat of course). It's a last ditch manuever which is kind of why it's called "Hand of god"

Jay

spider solo said:
Sure enough my paddle was stuck under water... flat down in the mud...would still be there but for a stroke of luck in finding it.
Heh heh, same thing happened to me recently.
I have a pretty reliable roll from the left but I was practicing rolling up from the right the other day. For rolling practice I usually head to a beach or somewhere where it's deep enough to roll but shallow enough that I can push off the bottom with my paddle in case the roll doesn't work out.
Well, my roll hadn't worked so I went to push off, got way out of position and had to wet exit. The tip of my paddle was sticking out of the water and was stuck pretty good in the mud.
Ah, the joys... :D

Another option if you miss a roll,is "re-entry and roll". While you're in the water tip the boat on it's side,to fill with water. Hold your paddle against the coaming with one hand,grab the opposite coaming with the other. Flip the boat upside down,and roll yourself into the cockpit. The tricky part is to relax and lock your legs into place,and set your paddle. Now-roll up! It's not as nerve racking as bombing a roll,as you don't have a spray skirt holding you. The toughest part is relaxing,and taking the time to do it right.

KayakDan, I'll have to practice that one since I could see it being a possibly quicker alternative to a self-rescue out in the open water. But for my roll practice it's just easier to walk the boat back to shore, dump all the water out, and getting back in - saves all that water pumping I would have to do.
-Doug