Roundtop (Catskill100) and Kaaterskill High Peak(Cat3500er)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Another great day in the mountains. Cold in the morning, cool during the hike, bright sun and blue skies.
Ralph, Maddy, Bookah and I spotted a car on Josh Rd and hiked Gillespie Rd to its end. Took the up elevator, onto the snowmobile trail mess, walked that for a bit and then headed up the ridge to Roundtop. 1 more CHH for Ralph and Maddy, and another Cat100W for the pooch (using the 3500 Club's calendar).
Carried snowshoes all day long. No snow down low, then ran into patches, and then continual snow the last 500'. The snow was rock hard, and although we delayed putting on the Microspikes well beyond the time we should, it was apparent that we should have been listening when Ralph suggested them much earlier. Bookah's harness got a good workout on some ledges.

We scurried off of Roundtop for our rendezvous with the unsuspecting about-to-be new Winter 35ers on Kaaterskill High Peak. Beautiful open woods between the peaks and ancient birches. We hit the summit of KHP about 5 seconds after the surprise-ees got their. Congratulations to Fiona and AJ( 12 and 9) for completion of the Catskill Winter 35. (27 peaks this winter).
Ralph, Maddy and I had planned to surprise the group climbing KHP. After photos, food, jokes on the wooded summit, we headed down to the spectacular and appropriately named, Hurricane Ledge for more visiting and to take in the views.
Luckily the ice was out of the steeps just below HL. I appreciate Al handing down Bookah to me in a couple of places.
A memorable day in many ways.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=avk6ugum.bi3wi1l6&x=0&y=z7597w&localeid=en_US

Peakbagr

Alan, that was another fine hike,thanks. Next time we will have to put together a expedition to find the site of the old Tory fort near Roundtop.Maybe in the Spring.85/102 I will add a few pictures later.
ShareLanding.action

Last edited: