Catskill 100 three-'fer: Utsayantha, NW & SW Moresville Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Another nice weather day from the hiking deities. Sunny April-like weather at the start foretold a nice day in the woods.
We headed up Utsayantha early in the day to get another one for Ralph and Maddy.
And thanks to Mudhook, he came up with a new route for the pair of Moresville Range peaks. With the exception of one short section melted out slope, we wore snowshoes all day. Although the snow was melting fast in some places, 95% of where we went they were a necessity.
Another thanks to Ralph for breaking the trail most of the day. The snow was wet and heavy, and in many places we could sink 18" in soft spots.
Maddy is starting to put a dent in the Catskill 100 list and should have a bunch of them done by pricker season.
The biggest sights of the day: The beautiful meadow with great views of NW Moresville Range. And the one I missed, a mature bald eagle Jim spotted while I was adjusting my snowshoes. Flew right over the tree tops just in front of us.
The weather stayed beautiful until clouding up between the 2 M'ville summits. We got some sprinkles on the way down to the spotted car and raining steadily as we were loading up. Good timing. I think we're all looking forward to the next hike.
Bookah scampered around all day. Sometimes in our tracks and lots of the time right and left exploring. She'll sleep tonight.
A few photos here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

Ralph and Maddy took some nice ones that I'm sure they'll share as well.