Willey Range Loop From Crawford Notch, 1/26/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
January 26, 2013: Willey Range

Trails: Avalon Trail, Willey Range Trail, Mt. Tom Spur, A-Z Trail

Summits: Mount Field, Mount Willey, Mount Tom

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

It’s been over a year since our last visit to the Willey Range. Considering the weather forecast we decided this was an ideal way to spend the day. Final prep included checking the usual weather sites and hiking reports. I was very happy to see our friend Pat Cushing (VFTT Bombadil) had hiked the loop late on Friday. He reported some drifting on the ridge, which wasn’t surprising. With Pat having hiked the loop a few hours earlier I knew any trail breaking that was needed would be minor and due to overnight drifting. Thanks Pat!

I also read reports describing rough trail conditions from bare-booters. I expected the usual Crawford Notch bare-booter horror show for trail conditions but that never happened. We enjoyed very nice trail conditions all day.

We set off a little later than originally planned. I think the starting temperature of -6 degrees might have slowed us down a little. Once we finally got on-trail it didn’t take long to get warmed up and comfortable. The only tough spots for both of us were the fingers; they got really chilled while putting on the snowshoes and required a little extra time to get up to temperature. Our plan was to hike the loop in the clockwise direction.

Our first objective was the Avalon and A-Z trails junction. We planned to head straight up Avalon Trail to Willey Range Trail near the summit of Mount Field. As we were reaching the trails junction another pair of hikers passed and went right, heading toward Mt. Tom. To this point the trails were in great condition; clearly more than Pat as passed through recently. At the junction we went left and climbed.

The trail has no ice and the traction for our snowshoes was terrific. We raised the heel lifts and worked our way to the first break in the area of the Avalon summit spur. We both know the views from Avalon are very nice, but we passed on the side-trip and kept climbing. From the Avalon Spur to Willey Range Trail is a series of steep pitches with short sections of relatively mild trail that provide a break in the climbing action. We worked to find that Peakbagger ideal climbing pace but never quite nailed it. We made a few more stops than we would have at his speed but eventually made it to the Willey Range Trail junction a comfortable amount ahead of book time (I thought I was really dragging to that point – I was happy). The weather forecast had predicted quite a bit of wind from the northwest and I knew we would be sheltered from it until reaching the ridge. Suddenly it was time to add a layer.

Layered up and ready to go we made the left and were soon standing on the summit of Mount Field. After a few pictures we were again headed south and on our way to Mount Willey. To this point we had met one additional solo hiker descending Avalon Trail. From Field to Willey we were again passed by the pair that passed earlier on their way to Tom, and we met five others that appeared to be backpackers, and one solo hiker; all but three were on snowshoes. Roughly mid-way to Willey the broken trail drifts away from the marked route but quickly gets back on course. We were off-trail for a very short section and didn’t bother correcting on the way back out – it’s a very minor diversion.

On the summit of Mount Willey Sue made a couple new friends with the local Gray Jay population. These guys are being well-fed this year (no surprise there). After going through roughly half a package of crackers we decided staying warm was more important and we u-turned and started north.

Hiking a loop of the Willey Range from Crawford Notch, clockwise or counter-clockwise, means passing over the summit of Mount Field twice. We re-hiked the trail between Willey and Field barely slowing down as we passed the summit for our second visit. A couple minutes later we passed the junction with Avalon and stayed with Willey Range Trail to the junction with A-Z Trail.

The most significant drifting was reported along this section which is common. There had been quite a bit of traffic ahead of us and the trail was well tracked out and pretty smooth. It was generally a non-stop cruise to A-Z Trail and on to Mt. Tom Spur. There we stopped briefly for refreshment and then headed to Mt. Tom and our final target for the day. We got our usual pictures at the summit cairn (now under snow), wandered the summit area to enjoy the various views, made the u-turn, and started our exit hike.

The hike back to Crawford Notch was free of surprises. The trail condition was more of the same; a nice wide snowshoe track all of the way out. Back at Crawford Notch we stopped to remove our snowshoes but needed to keep moving. It was cold and the wind was blowing strong through the notch.

Our usual exit routine of quick change at The Highland Center and hit the highway south followed. The Highland Center was definitely a busy place. It’s been a while since I’ve seen this level of activity there. Busy is better. It wasn’t long before we were cruising south on I-93 and snacking on M&M’s.

Thanks Sue for another good day in the mountains; this time just for fun.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Nice hear you folks are out there and busy hiking still. Looking forward to pics and hoping to get up there soon myself, minus the sub zero temps:eek:

Earl,

Great TR and terrific photos...so appreciative of your switch to SmugMug.

With such wonderful and reliable photos, I am curious how you keep your camera/battery functional in winter temps with an (apparent) outside camera pouch. Do you use chemical warmers inside the camera case? Any secrets you would care to share? (I carry spare batteries in an inside security travel pouch.)

Thanks!

Earl,

With such wonderful and reliable photos, I am curious how you keep your camera/battery functional in winter temps with an (apparent) outside camera pouch. Do you use chemical warmers inside the camera case? Any secrets you would care to share? (I carry spare batteries in an inside security travel pouch.)

Thanks!
Thanks Pete,

There are no secrets. I don't use a warmer, or anything else. The batteries are usually good for at least six outings. My camera has a flip LCD and I usually keep it turned off. This helps extend battery life a lot. Plus, in many situations, the optical viewfinder is easier for me to use than the LCD.

The spare set of batteries is kept in a pocket on the camera pouch, riding on my chest. They're frozen too.

This was one of the few hikes where I actually needed to change batteries. On this hike the low battery warning light came on, I got one more picture (Sue on Mt. Tom), and the camera died. After a quick change it was back in the game, and Sue took over the camera duties.

Initially, for the first ~5 years that I had the camera, I used rechargeables. My charger died and I spent a lot of time shopping for a replacement. During this time I changed to standard alkaline disposables. I now have the new charger and will go back to NiMH. I'm also thinking about a change to the new Eneloop LSD cells - they appear very interesting to me.

Thanks Earl!
I appreciate the information and look forward to your next trip report.
As Grace Hudowalski (legendary ADK 46er Historian) used to say, "good climbing!"

Earl,

Thanks!
I realize your question was to Earl but I thought I would share what I do with my camera. It is in a pouch either on my waist or breast strap on my pack with the spare battery in a smaller pocket in the camera pouch (it has it's own special battery). I have tried going both with and without a chemical warmer and it did not really seam to matter with my camera as it was happy to function all day either way as long as I had charged the battery the night before. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix S8200 and I don't have the option Earl does of not using the LCD display. On another note though, my cell phone loves a chemical warmer or to be in a pocket near my body. My problems is I don't usually have many pockets on the clothing I wear most of the time while climbing (if any) unless I have a jacket on (which isn't often) so I go with the chemical warmer to keep it happy. Besides I find the camera on my phone is always getting bumped and jarred in pockets and taking pics by itself of my pockets all day long and wearing the battery down. I now keep it in my glasses case with my map and cheater glasses with it's snuggly chemical warmer.

Sunshine Chris,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I used to carry a small digital camera (Olympus Stylus All Weather 115) inside my mid or outer layer during winter hikes. For the most part it functioned quite well, but I did have occasions where the camera fogged-up as soon as I exposed it to "outside" winter temperatures.

When I purchased my latest camera a few years ago (Nikon CoolPix P5100) I didn't want to chance any lens damage from water vapor so I carry it in a Lowepro Apex 60 All Weather pouch attached to the hip belt of my pack.

So I am always curious about how people keep their high-tech electronics ready to catch that one unforgettable moment.

For me, the photographs I take on any hike capture the essence of why I go and will treasure forever. So I simply want to have the best possible chance of bringing back the memories. Sometimes you only get one chance in life.

So your additional comments were welcomed and sincerely appreciated. Thanks again for the response.

...I'm also thinking about a change to the new Eneloop LSD cells - they appear very interesting to me.

I've been using the Sanyo Eneloops now for about 3 years - they live up to their claims.

A couple of days ago I noticed that Amazon now carries a similiar battery in their AmazonBasic series. I bought a set of the AAA's and am giving them a try. They are cheaper than the Sanyos. I'll probably not change from the Sanyo for important apps (like GPS and headlamps) but I use rechargeable elsewhere wherever possible.

I've been using the Sanyo Eneloops now for about 3 years - they live up to their claims.
Do you have any experience with the new generation Eneloops? The information I have seen seems to indicate they hold a charge much longer and have better tolerance for cold conditions.

I'm thinking about ordering a few to give them a try. The ones I'm really interested in are the 2500 mAh cells but they're pretty expensive (~twice the price of their 2000 mAh cells).

My Eneloops have been holding up well too. However, I haven't given them much hard duty. (I've been giving my standard cells the heavy jobs until they wear out.)

A couple of days ago I noticed that Amazon now carries a similiar battery in their AmazonBasic series. I bought a set of the AAA's and am giving them a try. They are cheaper than the Sanyos. I'll probably not change from the Sanyo for important apps (like GPS and headlamps) but I use rechargeable elsewhere wherever possible.
I have observed that cells from different manufacturers are of different quality. For instance, I bought some cheap no-name cells and they haven't held up well. An old review also noted that the durability of different models of cells varied. http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Sanyo has a pretty good reputation--I don't know about the AmazonBasics.

FWIW, http://www.thomasdistributing.com/ carries a range of cells and chargers from a variety of manufacturers. (Standard disclaimer: my only relationship with them has been as a customer.)

Doug

Earl, I've been using the new generation Sanyo Eneloops for about a year now, AA and AAA (at least, they were the "new" generation then, 1500 cycle variety). So far, I'm very happy with them. Even in winter I'm getting 20hrs+ on one set of the 2000mAh AA on the GPS (which admittedly usually stays in the pocket of my pants so it's probably getting a little warmth there). I'm in the process of switching over to the AAA for the headlamp too, and have been using some around the house for other stuff too.

……
I have observed that cells from different manufacturers are of different quality. For instance, I bought some cheap no-name cells and they haven't held up well. ………
……..
Doug

Not everything is always grey, sometimes it is clearly a black and white issue.

I have also learned there is a big difference in cells from the same manufacturer.

Duracell (definitely not a no-name brand) has this problem.

They have at least two different AA cells from different manufacturing locations.

It is my understanding their cells with the white end caps are actually re-branded Eneloop cells. I have only seen these cells packaged by themselves. These cells are also clearly labeled “Made in Japan”. Through personal experience I have the opinion they are a very good product.

Duracell also has cells with black end caps. These cells are often bundled with their chargers. They are clearly labeled “Made in China”. Through personal experience I have the opinion they are very poor and inconsistent quality.

Even people that are color blind should be able to tell the difference.

Earl, I've been using the new generation Sanyo Eneloops for about a year now, AA and AAA (at least, they were the "new" generation then, 1500 cycle variety). So far, I'm very happy with them. Even in winter I'm getting 20hrs+ on one set of the 2000mAh AA on the GPS (which admittedly usually stays in the pocket of my pants so it's probably getting a little warmth there). I'm in the process of switching over to the AAA for the headlamp too, and have been using some around the house for other stuff too.
Thanks Matt,

I'm pretty sure that's the direction I'll be heading.

Just curious, what color is the end cap around the positive electrode?

Just curious, what color is the end cap around the positive electrode?

According to my Amazon history, this was what I ordered (AA version): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UG41XW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

They are encased completely in white just like the picture shows and to my knowledge they are true Sanyo Eneloops, not a re-brand of any kind (Sanyo is the manufacturer of Eneloops).

On a slightly thread-related note, it's been too long since I've seen you and Sue on the trails :)

Last edited:
According to my Amazon history, this was what I ordered (AA version): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UG41XW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

They are encased completely in white just like the picture shows and to my knowledge they are true Sanyo Eneloops, not a re-brand of any kind (Sanyo is the manufacturer of Eneloops).

On a slightly thread-related note, it's been too long since I've seen you and Sue on the trails :)

According to the SANYO - Eneloop website, the "2nd generation" Eneloops have dark grey end caps. The previous generation were white.

From the SANYO website:

"1500 times rechargeable eneloop battery (2nd generation) has a dark gray cover around the positive electrode and a crown logo on the side. HR-3UTGA (AA) / HR-4UTGA (AAA)"

I agree, it's been too long. I believe the last time our paths crossed was November 11, 2012 on Garfield.

Hope to see you again soon.

Interesting. Well, I guess you could call it dark gray vs. white, but it is the same color all along it's length and looks more white to me. They have the crown logo on the side, quote 1500 cycles on the packaging, and the P/N written on the battery is HR-3UTGA. Made in Japan on the side.

You know what, I just saw there is a grayish disc around the positive electrode, only on the very end of the battery. It just does not continue down the side like I was thinking when I read the description you quoted. Guess they are the 2nd generation as I thought.

Your memory is better than mine. I'd forgotten about that day on Garfield (not sure how I could forget that day!). Good luck to you two on finishing that grid (if you haven't already!).