rudder necessity ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
found 2 wilderness systems tsunami's locally (120 and 125) that will be mostly used for flat water/calm river paddling in NH. Maybe some overnights, probably no ocean. these don't have rudders but they can be added.

wondering if anyone can swear by the need for a rudder. thanks.

I do not have rudders on either one of my kayaks (18 and 19 foot guillemots). The designer of the boats is not a fan of rudders.

The only time the lack of a rudder is a pain (IMHO) is with a strong wind at my back (whitecap conditions) when I am trying to go at an angle to the wind. This is usually on a large lake. Without a rudder the boat wants to pivot around its centerline and equalize the wind pressure over the length of the hull making it perpendicular to the wind (and the whitecaps). Paddling technique can overcome it but it can be a pain. I have never encountered issues on flat water or fast water rivers and I see most folks keep them stowed up as its one more thing to catch on a rock. Rudders tend to be fairly light duty and get exposed to a lot of abuse when putting in and taking out as well as during transport and storage.

Do note that usually its a issue with strong wind where whitecaps are forming and a lot of folks will work hard not to get in that condition.

I have run into some folks over the years who stow the paddles and use kites (tent flys) in these conditions as the wind then becomes a advantage.

I dont think you need rudders for those shorter boats because you probably dont want to use them in ocean currents and winds. On the other hand they will be good in rivers where the current is roughly constant. They should handle the bends of the river nicely instead of "spinning out" like my 18 footer did on the Housatonic.

There have always been 2 debates: rudders vs skegs, and using a rudder versus paddling technique.

Peakbagger is right about rudders- I have replaced my rudder at a cost of $90 once in 4 years due to a transport accident. On the other hand, skegs take up valuable interior space and require more technique.

That being said, I gladly prefer the 2% drag to all the effort required to keep the boat going where I want it to in currents and wind. No matter which side I use to edge, sometimes the boat goes the "wrong" way...especially in gusts.

I also find its easier to keep a rhythm with a rudder, and when I use power strokes, I believe less energy is wasted because there is little or no side to side motion in the water.

I just got a Pacific Action Sail so I expect to be using the rudder even more often

Last edited:
I have never encountered issues on flat water or fast water rivers and I see most folks keep them stowed up as its one more thing to catch on a rock.
On white water or any fast flowing water one sometimes/often moves slower than the current (ie backwards relative the water) or across the current. In such conditions, a rudder or skeg would get in the way.

In fast/white water, the current can be different under different parts of the boat--a white water paddler will often use the current differences to aid in controlling the boat. White water boats are also directionally unstable (that is, they prefer to turn rather than go straight). I have duct-taped a skeg to a white water boat to stabilize it...

On flat water, a rudder can make control a bit easier, but not a good idea on wild water. FWIW, white water technique includes a number of steering strokes which can occasionally be handy on flat water.

Doug

Last edited:
Some sea kayaks (mine is 17') tend to turn in even the slightest wind, are difficult to control in wind, and come with rudders from the factory. If a boat is sold without a factory rudder, it's probably not needed and you can control the kayak with strokes, and maybe a little leaning.

Chip, I have a pungo 12ft and I have taken it this summer to Little Tupper and Raquette River for overnights. Stuffed it with a ton of gear, no rudder needed on the small rivers......have fun!

My paddling is mostly flatwater and sea and lake kayaking with some class I and II often thrown in as part of the route. My 21 ft. tandem doesn't handle the "rapids" all that well so I need all the assist I can get and am grateful for that rudder.

I've also paddled numerous other sizes and shapes of kayaks with and without rudders under similar conditions and concluded that it is a strong personal preference for me to have the rudder. At the very least it helps keep a straight track and can also help offset drift due to currents or wind, thus making any paddle easier.

When I've not had a rudder I missed it; when I've had one I've never left it up in order to reduce drag.

Guess that means I vote FOR rudder.

Nice find on the Tsunamis! With short boats like that, you'll be able to get into a lot of nice secluded places, small creeks and hidden ponds.

Anyway, about the rudder...with that said...the boats are pretty short so turning wont be much of an issue. With one or two sweeping strokes, you can spin those boats right around.

And, if you don't have the experience already, you'll soon learn how to keep the boat tracking straight as an arrow without the need for a rudder.

Also, adding a rudder system just adds weight and its just another accessory you have to deal with if repairs are needed. Installation can be a pain in the "you-know-what" too.

I say 99.9% of the time you will not need the rudder. That 0.1% would be the day you decide to go out paddling on open water with a steady 25 mph wind. You'll develop much better paddling skills without a rudder.

rudder = crutch.

Good luck. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Between my brother and I, we have 5 Tsunami's - 2 120's without the rudder, 2 125's without the rudder and 1 120 with the rudder.

We mainly paddle rivers and lakes where a rudder has not been needed. The 120's handle nicely on tight winding rivers and the 125's take a bit more effort to make the turns.

Whenever a group takes the boats out, the one with the rudder is always left in the rack (it's heavier and harder to stack in the truck) unless 5 people go. Only once did it come in handy. A friend was stuck paddling it because the other 4 were being used. She left the rudder up, was having some pain in her elbow so she decided to put the rudder down. She found that it eased her elbow pain a bit using the rudder to steer.

In smaller kayaks, such as the 12-footers mentioned, rudders are rarely used or needed. My 17-foot sea kayak requires much effort to keep straight in any wind, and it's rare that I don't use the rudder. Some kayaks are designed better and respond to leaning (to aid turning), so rudders may not be needed or desired just to go straight.

At this length, the kayaks will probably track poorly. A rudder can help in tracking but it is probably not worth the cost.

found 2 wilderness systems tsunami's locally (120 and 125) that will be mostly used for flat water/calm river paddling in NH. Maybe some overnights, probably no ocean. these don't have rudders but they can be added.

wondering if anyone can swear by the need for a rudder. thanks.