Rusk, june 27th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I missed this one last year because I could not find the trail and still had to do Hunter and SW hunter. Did not want to waste time looking. This year I was told to go up the gully at the hair pin turn, or work my way up to the left of the gully. I started up the gully, but was getting so much blow down I decided to turn left and work my way to the summit going north west. Every time I thought I saw a trail, it petered out in 20 feet right into nettle patches or blow down. Then I would find another trail and say "this has to be a trail"! nope more blow down. I did not want to get to far away from the gully so I worked my way north then north east. I figured just climb north until you hit the top. Finally reached the top in about 1.5 hrs (1300 feet from the hairpin turn). Then soon as I reached the top, wham it poured:(. has anyone seen a worse June.:mad:
I decided I did not want to go down the same way because I did not see a trail on the way up, plus it was now wet and slippery. So I worked my way south east till I found the gully. Was I glad I did. This led me straight back to the hairpin turn. Most of the way the gully is free of blow down, only the bottom section had it. So if you are climbing Rusk I would suggest taking the gully. I think I did not see a trail because I stayed to close to the gully. There were probably trails to the left of me. I decided to save this climb for a clowdy day because it does not have a view. Maybe I should had done it when it was dry because I was soaked head to toe plus the rocks were more slippery because of the rain. Should have long pants and shirt for this one, plus eye protection and hiking sticks. By the way, do trees have hands. everytime I would get caught on a branch, instead of letting go I had a fight on my hands. I thought I was in the wizard of OZ and soon they would be throwing apples at me. :D.
I found Out I do not like bushwacking:D

Last edited:
I missed this one last year because I could not find the trail and still had to do Hunter and SW hunter. Did not want to waste time looking.
What you found for trails is pretty much all there is for Rusk, except at the very bottom and the very top.

I decided to save this climb for a clowdy day because it does not have a view.

You must have missed the view on the way up of Hunter.
If you go past the register, you can also find a a rock ledge with a view west into Spruceton valley.