Sachem Peak bushwack via Smarts Brook Tr. 4/20/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
This is a hike I have been thinking about for some time now. I see this Sandwich Mtn. sub-peak nearly everyday from the Campton/Thornton area, just there begging to be climbed. So yesterday after work I had my mind set on it. Here is a look at it from Jennings Peak. And here's one from the area around the Algonquin/Black Pond Tr. junction.

Set off on the Smarts Brook Tr. at 2:30 and high tailed it up the logging road to the area of the beaver ponds where I took a minute to poke around and check out some beaver engineering. Pretty impressive beaver dams up there! I was pressed for time so I kept up a good pace through a logging clearing where someone had fashioned a 8 foot diameter peace sign on the ground out of birch limbs. Soon after this clearing I noticed a small cluster of Round-Leaved Yellow Violets poking through the leaf litter next to the trail. Being the first wildflowers I've observed this spring, I stopped for a picture.

From here until the wilderness boundary there were some pretty muddy areas that could be carefully rock-hopped, although I went in once pretty deep. After the boundary I started to see patches of fading monorail on the trail. Then bigger monorail patches, until at about 2100 ft. it was pretty consistent although it could be avoided still by rockhopping over or finding ground beside it. I started to see the cliffs of my objective through the trees. At around 2200 feet the snow became unavoidable and fairly rotten so I switched to snowshoes which made life easier.

At the last Smarts Brook crossing at roughly 2300ft. I set a bearing to due North and went straight up the slope off the trail. In this area there are a number of LARGE boulders strewn about the woods. At first the snow remained constant but then faded when I reached an area of many downed limbs and trees. Stopped to take off the snowshoes, there was a TON of moose droppings and prints all around from here to ridge, never saw any moose though. Fought my way through large boulders, down trees and limbs, and thick undergrowth till the snow began to reappear and postholing became an issue. I waited a bit to put back on the snowshoes, picking my steps where the snow looked thinnest and rockhopping where possible, just thinking the snow might disappear again. It never did. Snowshoes went back on again and the woods opened back up again to where I reached a broad flat area I deemed to be the col between Jennings and Sachem. Again, lots of moose sign, but no moose.

From here I turned to the west and began climbing to the summit of Sachem. The going got pretty thick, and deeper snow slowed my progress, it was about 5:15 by this time and I began to worry about time. I told myself if I wasn't on top by 5:30 I was gonna call it. Onward I fought, curse words I uttered as I got scratched by sharp spruce, until I began to see open ledges to my left. I reached a crux where I ditched the snowshoes and climbed 10 feet up the rock ledge using foot and hand holds. About 30 more feet of fighting spruce and I was out on a ledge maybe 30 feet vertical below the summit. It was very windy so I scurried up the ledges to the summit which I tagged, I told Sachem she "was a real pain in the ass" before I found a spot in the lee of the wind to wolf down a sandwich.

Stayed long enough after this too look around quickly, take a few pictures, but then I was hurrying to get back into the woods and out of the wind. Down climbed the 10 foot ledge by doing the "crab-walk" and found my snowshoes which I put back on for the decent. Got back to the col and set a bearing due south. Got to the spot wear the snow ended and took off the shoes for good here. While descending to the trail I passed a massive boulder that was as tall as the trees sitting by itself in the woods. I kept on my due south bearing and it put me back on the trail at exactly the last Smarts Brook crossing, couldn't have planned it better!

The walk out was pretty uneventful, never felt the need to put back on the snowshoes or microspikes, poles were enough. Got back to the wilderness boundary where it became apparent I would not need to use the headlamp this trip. So from here on out I took my time, it was easy walking, my right ankle still bothers me sometimes, while descending mostly and only if I step on it wrong. This is lasting effects from a car accident I was involved in back in December, I think my ankle ligaments are still loosening up a bit. My right heel pad was blown wide open in the accident, requiring 25 stitches to close up, spent 2 months on crutches and another month of taking it easy on it. It took 4 full months for the wound to heal completely, it was brutal wound. This was my first hike of any real length (over 4 miles) or difficulty since the accident. The foot performed pretty well and any pain I experienced was pretty manageable and short term.

I'm lucky to be alive and doing the things I love doing because the driver (Adam) passed away at the scene and my friend KC is still recovering at Northeast Rehab in Salem from a TBI he suffered sitting shotgun in the car. The second tree we hit and came to rest against was less than 2 feet from my door, this tree killed Adam. So how I think of it, I was less than 2 feet from being more seriously injured or killed, I'm not too religious but I must of had an angel with me. I got back to the beaver ponds and just sat in silence watching the beaver swimming in circles across the pond, just thinking about how lucky and thankful I am to be sitting where I was, with a functioning foot. I mean, for a month we didn't know if my wound would heal, if it didn't I would have lost my heel pad. Not having a heel pad I'm sure would have put a damper on my future hiking plans. I said a quick prayer for Adam and KC's recovery before moving on, it was dusk and getting cold and windy. The last 1.5 to the car was kind of surreal, just thinking about all the bull$h*t I've dealt with the past few months to get to where I am now. I heard two separate owls in this stretch which was cool, I stopped for a minute to listen to each. I got back to the car kind of chilled and blasted the heat on my 5 minute drive back to my house. A successful afternoon in the woods, glad to be back on the trail!

Pictures are here.

Last edited:
Todd . . . very nice TR! Sachem Peak and that entire Acteon Ridge is a good place for whacking, but it certainly can get thick in a few spots!

I went up there over a year ago and used an approach that was different from yours. However, I think that your approach via Smarts Brook is probably the more traditional approach. I went up from Route 49 (think I parked at the High Brook Picnic Area). With a bit of “bobbing & weaving” I managed to stay in open woods for the entire trek until I got close to the ridgeline where things became a little bit thick.

Cool TR on Sachem Peak

I bushwacked up Sachem Peak last summer. I was drawn by how interesting the cliffs looked from down on Smarts Brook Trail. I love the picture you took of Sachem from Algonquin Trail. Sachem looks million times better from up there. I've been wanting to go up Algonquin Trail, hopefully I will this year.

2120012890060201085S600x600Q85.jpg
[/IMG]

In planning the whack I initially intended to hike from down low like you did, but was concerned about traversing what might turn into a jumble of boulders with deep nasty holes. So I hiked up trail up to end of first switchback and followed contour over to the col between Jennings and Sachem and then whacked west almost directly up the ridge. I had to circle around a bit to miss some steep ledges. This worked very nicely for me.

I got an earlier start so I had time to whack entire ridge to Bald Knob and down. My problem was only bringing 2 l of H2O. I was cramping up [retty badly trying to descend steep ledges on other end.

I love how you caught the lush lichens up there Like this one. I took a lot of pictures but missed out getting shots of those.

The last boulder you took picture looks like a giant chicken. it's a pre-historic fossilized Peep from Easter holiday.

I'm very sorry to hear about your terrible car accident and I'm very happy to hear about progress you made on your recovery. I sincerely hope you continue to make progress. I love this area. Drop me a line if you ever want to re-visit Sachem Peak. It's a real gem!

I went up there over a year ago and used an approach that was different from yours. However, I think that your approach via Smarts Brook is probably the more traditional approach. I went up from Route 49 (think I parked at the High Brook Picnic Area).
I also did a N approach and used a woods road most of the way, this way isn't as steep and I even snowshoed up from the col. I've also heard of it being climbed both ways along the ridge but never from the S :)

Glad TD is putting the accident behind. I know another group that was in a serious car accident on a peakbagging trip and a ME AMC leader died hitting a moose, so let's be as careful on the drive as the hike :-(

Since I live nearby and look at Sachem Peak everyday from my house, I really appreaciated reading your report! Thanks a bunch. Last year I whacked up to Bald Knob and found it to be just awesome. I will probably return back there again this year.

Todd . . . very nice TR! Sachem Peak and that entire Acteon Ridge is a good place for whacking, but it certainly can get thick in a few spots!

You're tellin' me! :)

I've been wanting to go up Algonquin Trail, hopefully I will this year.

I love how you caught the lush lichens up there Like this one. I took a lot of pictures but missed out getting shots of those.

The last boulder you took picture looks like a giant chicken. it's a pre-historic fossilized Peep from Easter holiday.

Algonquin is a new local favorite for me after last summer. You're gonna like it, from Sandwich Mtn's southern shoulder you get a pretty unique view of the Black/Guinea/Hall Ponds area, Sandwich Notch, over the Beede River valley all the way out over Sandwich and Tamworth to the Ossipees.

Lots and lots of thick lichen! Did my best to avoid stomping it.

Now that ya mention it, it does resemble a peep! The route through the boulders wasn't too bad, but much of it was snow covered so I may have got lucky. It was fun doing a bit of weaving through.

I've also heard of it being climbed both ways along the ridge but never from the S :)

In my picture taken from Algonquin Tr. there is that line of trees splitting the cliffs. Possible southern route? May be worth a recon mission. I'm sure it's steeper in there than either other route, if not blocked by cliffs.

Last year I whacked up to Bald Knob and found it to be just awesome.

That's another one I've been thinking about. Did you approach from Smarts Brook or along Rt. 49?

Last edited:
You're tellin' me! :)
That's another one I've been thinking about. Did you approach from Smarts Brook or along Rt. 49?

We hiked up along Yellow Jacket Trail and then took a left making our way to a col between Bald Knob and an obscure bump on the right. We kept a small brook to our left as we hiked up. The woods were open and quite pleasant.

At the col, we crossed the brook (basically a small stream at this stage) and climbed up Bald Knob using its rock slabs. Very doable. Keep climbing until you reach a HUGE cairn at its open summit.

Great views of the area and a new perspective than the usual Welsh/Dickey, Jennings Peak, etc.