Saddleback 1-5-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
Friday RTSPOONS and Hitched Hiker and myself hiked into Camp Peggy with temps in the low teens. It was a very nice hike in. When we arrived ADKDREMN, his B.I.L. (brother in law), Peakbagr, Bushwhacker, Maddi, HOL, MIMI were already there and Allistar showed up shortly after us. What a great bunch of people and it was so nice meeting everyone. We had Spaghetti with meatballs and sausage and other goodies that everyone else brought. We had more food than we knew what to do with. John K. showed up later that night.

The next day Hitched Hiker, Alistair, and John and I decided to hike Saddleback and then possibly hike up to Gothics and beyond. When we reached the COL the trail was not broken out to Gothics so we all decided not to go. Honestly Saddleback was enough for me. There were some really steep sections on the Orebed trail where you would take two steps up and slide back one. I got so frusterated I actually thought about turning around It was mentally exausting!

We ran into 4 other groups that were faster than me and I had the luxury of all of them breaking trail the rest of the way to Saddleback The summit was very very windy and the gusts would blow you off your feet. The views were amazing and the face of Gothics was very impressive. John, Hitched Hiker and myself stayed on the summit for a while taking it all in.

This was my first winter High Peak and I am not sure if I will hike anymore winter ones until I get into better shape. This trip was mentally and physically challenging for me and a wakeup call. The other part of the Peggy group made it to Haystack, Basin, and Saddleback. I hope one day to be hiking monsters like them.

On the hike out yesterday the weather was in the high 30's low 40's and the snow was sticking to everything. I am glad we got out of the woods when we did. I know the water crossings will be tricky if this thaw continues. So be careful out there.

Thanks to Spencer, Maddi and Brian for arranging the cabin and the great spaghetti. Thanks again :)

PICTURES

Last edited:
Keep at the winter stuff 1ADAM12. I said the same thing after my first winter hike (Allen). After a few more trips i am well on my way to my W. 10 left and i look forward to the start of winter every year.
Just an FYI i was the solo hiker out that day that was looking for someone crazy enough to go to Basin. Thankfully i didnt find one.

Nice Adam. Playing around in the winter is totally different. Glad that the experience was positive, albeit eye-opening. Good bunch to be out with no doubt.

Agree w/PackMule that the more you get out there, the more you learn and build on. I've been out plenty and not gotten to the/a peak ...and feel just fine about any day in the winter woods.

PackMule said:
Keep at the winter stuff 1ADAM12. I said the same thing after my first winter hike (Allen). After a few more trips i am well on my way to my W. 10 left and i look forward to the start of winter every year.
Just an FYI i was the solo hiker out that day that was looking for someone crazy enough to go to Basin. Thankfully i didnt find one.

I remember you! Did you ever go to Gothics instead?

Didnt end up going. I already have it in the winter. Besides that after breaking up near the top my legs were pretty wasted. I decided it was best to get home early for a change :D

Nice Job

Adam
Thanks for the company it was a sweet time and the longest butt slide I have had in the mountains.

Well everyone! I have changed my mind and decided to hike again in winter :rolleyes: I am heading up to hike Cliff and Redfield Feb 9th from Upper Works and doing my first winter campout at Uphill Leant-to. I will be hiking in Friday the 8th. I have dropped a few pounds and hoping the climb will be a bit easier on my legs this time around. ;)

Adam