Sailing rig for a Mad River canoe?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat T

Reaction score
Have any of you outfitted your canoe for sailing?

I'm wondering if any of you have plans for building this or if you know of a source of a reasonably priced sailing rig for a canoe.

We have an old Royalex Mad River (I think it's 16') that we like to play around in. I know the basic requirements for a sailing rig--sail, rudder, twin dagger boards. Are outriggers necessary? This would just be for recreational use, not for trips.

I've done some internet searching on this topic so I am mostly interested in either your own personal experiences or your recommendation of the best of books or websites on this topic. Thanks for any info.

Pat T

Last edited:
I used a sail rig once or twice many years ago.

You want:
* a single sail, lateen or jib-headed (like a mainsail on a sloop).
* Leeboards.
* A rudder is nice, but you can also use a paddle.

An outrigger is unnecessary--the boat will be fairly tender.

Doug

Be careful what you ask for. I accept no responsiblity for any canoe sailing addiction that might develop from these links:

American Canoe Association Nat'l Sailing Committee

Building a rig

Canoe Sailing Resources 2005

Sticks and String

Canoe and Boat Building

My dad introduced me to canoe sailing. He used to sail on Lake Superior solo in a 16 foot Old Town OTCA. (Drove my mom nuts with worry.) We sailed on our canoe camping trips -- why paddle when you can loaf?

Have fun -- you won't be able to avoid it.

Sailing

I just rigged my 1941 Old Town Guide with a sail rig that I put together from antique parts I have gathered. I launched it Thursday at Lobster Lake in Maine and after a few minutes of practice, I had an absolute blast.

I am now a canoe sailing junkie.

It has a mast, mast step, mast seat, leeboards, (seem to be key for keeping the canoe upright) and I used a paddle for a rudder. Only tweeks of the paddle are needed to change direction.

There is a photo of the sail rig here:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/560287803WVxwxf

Fitz

Last edited:
Sailing rigs for a canoe

Check out the book "Canoe Rig" by Todd Bradshaw. It's a great book all about different sailing rigs for antique and modern canoes. The illustrations alone are worth buying the book for.

Fitz said:
There is a photo of the sail rig here:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/560287803WVxwxf

Fitz

Boy, does that bring back some memories! Lots of time spent under a lateen rig here! And our canoe was even green like yours. Thanks for posting the pic.

EDIT: When you get truly lazy, and past caring about what happens to the pristine beauty of that restored boat, you might think about hanging a simple rudder rig off the stern. My dad did it with a couple of eye bolts through the stern. Then you can tuck the tiller under your armpit, sip a cold one, and sneer at the hoi polloi and their paddles as you glide past. :p

Last edited: