Sandwich Dome 6/27/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikethesummits

Reaction score
Despite our cancellation of our June 27 hike to celebrate my mothers 50th birthday (and sister backing out due to work) we decided almost at the last minute to take a chance despite the forecast for isolated thunderstorms (most of which were forecasted for late afternoon anyway). It would be my mom, brother and I and we decided on Sandwich Dome. We arrived in the Sandwich Mountain Trail Parking lot at 9:30am. Overcast and wet as expected we started up Sandwich Mountain Trail at 9:50 stopping at the trail head sign for a group picture. The trail head is obscured from the parking lot. Walk 15 ft. or so down the road and the trail is on the left. Cross the ski trail and towards the fenced in power plant, continue following the fence until the trail breaks left into the woods and quickly drops and crosses Drakes Brook. Hope that short walk warmed you up because the trail immediatley begins a moderate climb. As you crest the North side of Noon Peak you cross over some sections of rock slab and the Lichen & moss becomes plentiful. One clump of lichen topped moss had a pretty slug on it like I have never seen. Continue on until you come to your first ledge outlook with views North to Waterville Valley and surrounding 4000 footers. We were bug free until this point, though they seemed to be hanging out on just the ledge area. Passing this area you soon come to another open rock area with an excellent view to Jennings Peak. Drop back into the woods and at the junction take a right for a short climb to Jennings Peak consisting of a wooded summit with several beautiful ledges (all of which were busy with hikers. Here you will find excellent views South to Sandwich Dome, and South West to the Acteon Ridge and Whiteface beyond. Once back down to the main trail we passed by a garder snake curled up in some moss. As my brother and I took some pictures my mother continued on. Then suddenly we heard a loud crash and thump...then our mother calling out to us a bit startled. We ran to see what happened, a smile on her face she pronounced that we had just missed a face-to-face encounter with a buck moose. It took off startled! Well that moose brought us luck as the sky continued to stay free of rain! Now a little steeper we climbed to the summit of Sandwhich Dome, 3,393 feet, arriving around 1:30pm. We broke out lunch and we were soon bombarted by black fly swarms. We took some pics, broke out the dehydrated birthday ice cream which was preety tasty and headed back down. We got onto Drakes Brook Trail and were soon sprinkled on for a short couple minutes. This trail was very gradual and had easy footing. We passed some attractive water falls and onto a logging road where we made a stop at a large cascade/flume area. Then a simple stroll down the logging road arriving at the parking lot at 4:30pm. This was a great hike containing a large number of lichen & moss species. Views are average and limited with a particularly interesting view of the Osceolas but a great hike that is well sheltered for an overcast hike. View Pics on my Flickr Page. Can anyone tell me what the "dimples" are? I labled them as valley dimples on Flickr, they look like small patches of low scrub scattered in two valley areas which I have never seen anywhere else. View pics here

The few times I've been in the area of the Jennings Peak spur there have been lots and lots of fresh moose sign from there 'till about the Smarts Brook Tr. terminus.

Many trees with bark scraped and their poo poo. Glad someone saw them there cuz they've always alluded me! Nice trip.

Pretty high average

Views are average and limited with a particularly interesting view of the Osceolas but a great hike that is well sheltered for an overcast hike.

Nice trip report, but I have to argue with "average and limited" views. I did this hike (out & back Sandwich Mt trail) a couple weeks ago. The view into the Osceolas is definitely interesting - but I just *love* the up-close feel of the Tripyramids - with the whole ridge of the Sleepers visible leading to Whiteface. There's Passaconaway peeking out behind the ridge (it moves closer to Whiteface as you hike from Jennings peak over to the summit). Now look further north - Carrigain is hulking in the Pemi, and Washington and friends are visible in the distance. And look past the Osceolas - there are Bond and South Twin, and tucked into the ridge you can just make out Bondcliff! (OK, I'll admit I double-checked this one in the picture, but that's Bondcliff alright.)

Sorry, I think I need a Scudder 12-step program. My pictures are here.

Willoughby

Thanks for the "dimple" clarification. The patch cuts are certainly very noticeable. As for the moose, I didn't see any scat or bark scrapings, guess they haven't been on the trail. As far as views, it was overcast so I guess I didn't see all that was visible. I agree, view of Osceolas & Tripyramids were great. Also could barely make out Washington & Carrigain through clouds. View of Sachem Peak on Acteon Ridge was awesome. Also weird view looking down on Welch & Dickey (had to stand on cairn to get that view). Nice look at Jennings/Noon ridge. All Sandwich Range/Waterville peaks are visible (Welch/Dickey, Tecumseh, Osceolas, Kancamagus, Tripyramids, Passaconaway, Whiteface, Paugus & Chocorua) so I stand corrected Willoughby! Guess the views aren't all that bad!

Also weird view looking down on Welch & Dickey (had to stand on cairn to get that view).

I realized when I got back from Sandwich Dome that I hadn't seen Welch/Dickey - but I'm not sure I would have thought to stand on the cairn!

I went up Mt Hight (and Carter Dome) yesterday - no views at all, completely socked in by fog. So now I have a reason to go back...