Santanoni Wrap up - 2/24-26/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--M. said:
Umm, is it me or do those pictures make it look skiable? That 'round-the-lake trail that runs through the camp would do fine as a day's skiing if it's as skiable as it looks. Do I see it right?
The five miles going in are skiable by anyone, and conditions were PERFECT on Sunday. Since we were tired from the day before, we opted not to take the extra 4 mile walk around the lake. It definately was not as ski-able as the road going in, but it was a wide trail.

Pete_Hickey said:
The five miles going in are skiable by anyone, and conditions were PERFECT on Sunday. Since we were tired from the day before, we opted not to take the extra 4 mile walk around the lake. It definately was not as ski-able as the road going in, but it was a wide trail.

It feels like being a kid in the candy store, counting out a stack of pennies and nickels, hoping it's enough. Maybe if there are a couple more lake-effect days out there, we'll have enough to go on.

Thanks again for indulging my self-centered obsession! Too bad about Pinkham.

--Little One

Thanks Tom

We had planned this trip and counted on joining a large group for safety reasons. We stayed at the lean-too overnight for an early start and found the trail in good shape to Time Square. We were aware that there were some hikers in front of us but we were all following a good trail with very few side trails. I think that we were fairly confident that we were on the correct route and at that point the snow and wind were acceptable.

At a couple of spots I could see Couch or the ridge and things looked good according to my compass. When we reached the point of confusion I pulled out my GPS with the route pre-programmed to check our progress.(NOTE: This is the first time I have needed to do this on a hike) The GPS told me we were in good shape but it was the weather that determined our next move which was head back. (Also the cold had zapped my GPS batteries)

We were probably the first group to head back and I kept thinking I should have tried to convince others to do the same but everyone there seemed to be experienced and quite capable. We still had to go back to the lean-too to get the rest of our gear. I was happy to see that others had made the same choice. This was a potientially dangerous situation and I believe that our experiences tell us how to make the correct choices. This is the first time I have been turned back by weather in about 40+ years of hiking but I'm very comfortable with my choice. The mountains will still be there and so will we to enjoy and be challenged by them. :)

By the way it was nice to meet some of you on the trail!

Lessons

Hey Tom, Isn't it funny how you learn more from these trips than any other. I've more than once came home and asked what went wrong, or why didn't we make it? The hard ones I always remember more than the others. Which is why I chose the quote below. We're headed that way the 17th. It sounds like all the tracks are pretty well covered. Aye? Happy Trails

Last edited:
Just realised I was probably the only one who took pictures of this trip so here it goes (sorry it took so long).

I don't know how I did it, but I'm actually smiling on one of the pictures :(

Last edited: