Santanoni Wrap up - 2/24-26/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the hike, I heard some comments that seemed to indicate that maybe some of us are taking this all too seriously. Of course, putting yourself out there in severe weather can result in dire consequences, but the failure to summit a 4000-foot peak is not such a big deal, my own disappointment aside.

This is recreation, and I'm trying to keep it in perspective. It was still a good amount of exercise with good people who have similar interests. Ultimately, I only regret that I spent the time and money on a failed summit, but I'll be back. -Bob

Last edited:
Oh, brother! (I've rewritten this post several times).

Blackspruce and Neil, I agree with some of what both of you have said. But...

I know Neil, and I understand where he is coming from.

Blackspruce, I do not think I have met you. Some of your comments ring true, but some of them come across sounding overly harsh.

To paraphrase a prayer, "Great spirit, grant that I might not criticize my hiking partner, until I have walked a mile in his hiking boots".

Regarding GPS's: There were at least 3 being used Saturday, by 3 different groups, to get to 2 different peaks. None succeeded as far as I know. All were very experienced winter hikers. I'll let them say more if they choose to.

Rick and others: My writing style sometimes exaggerates to make a point. I did experience a lot of emotions that day, and Laurie and I even wondered out loud to each other (much to each other's surprise!) why we were doing these @#$& Winter 46'ers ? :eek: :D

I'm a peakbagger, true enough. But I do realize that peakbagging is a game. I can walk away from the disappointment. It was better to survive the day, and walk out whole, than to bag a peak.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Gps

I fully agree GPS is a wonderful tool but it's useless without a good wood sense and knowledge of the terrain and it sure will not break trail for you in deep snow, plus it is not that easy to use in a snow or rain storm. Furthermore one has to have a "back-up plan" as reception can be iffy and the machine will occasionnaly let you down or for some reason the holder will read the info wrong.

It was my first winter peakbagging group trip week-end, and here's what I've learned :

-You can eat lady bugs (well, Pete can).
-Cantdog loves the heat, hates the cold.
-Tom and Laurie are exceptional people.
-Cliff is short but nasty.
-Redfield is nothing but following streams.
-Pete is very good in making others people do the work without realizing it.
-Peakbaggers don't drink beer the evening before a hike, they watch TV.
-Pete makes good tomato sauce.
-Camelbak's sucks in winter.
-I don't suck at trailbreaking/routefinding.
-Santanoni Camp is a place to visit.

I had a great time, hope I'll see you all again soon.

Julie-Timmus

Great trip report, Tom! I thoroughly enjoyed it, you are a terrific writer.

Looking back on tough hikes and failed summits is usually more memorable than the easy ones. If the mountains were too easy to climb, the satisfaction of completing a list would not be as sweet. You have a lot to be proud of, especially in making the right decisions that day. And 200+ attempts without a failure is downright remarkable! I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many summits I failed to make ........ :eek:

Great trip......

My thanks to TFR for setting up the trip. Couple of notes on the weekend. The place worked out great, all in all. A little cramped, but compared to a lean to, it was a Marriott. And the hot shower Saturday eve!!!!!! And a dryer to dry all the wet gear, plenty of food, plenty of beer, plenty of beer, great company, stories of Aconagua, HarryK, chicken flavored peanuts (with real chicken powder!) thanks to Mr. Hickey, pasta a la Rik, and a la Laurie, Montreal bagels, barbequed beef, more food, more stories, and, did I mention beer. The trails we did climb, up over TS and partway to couch were absolutely beautiful. The snow, as difficult as it was making things, was also created as wonderful a landscape as I have ever seen. Defeated, no. Beaten up, a little. Worth every step, without a doubt. It was great to meet some new hikers, and get to know some others a little better. Stopped off in Speculator to make sure Ward got home Saturday after we hiked, and to drop him off a beautiful "Timmus" print that he had ordered from her (it was spectacular). Even got home in time to see the kids before they headed back to college!! Ready to do it all over agin. L

timmus said:
... here's what I've learned :

1-You can eat lady bugs (well, Pete can).
3-Tom and Laurie are exceptional people.
4-Cliff is short but nasty.
5-Redfield is nothing but following streams.
6-Pete is very good in making others people do the work without realizing it.
7-Peakbaggers don't drink beer the evening before a hike, they watch TV.
9-Camelbak's sucks in winter.
10-I don't suck at trailbreaking/routefinding.
11-Santanoni Camp is a place to visit.

1. He had plenty of samples, and some made it back to my apartment! :eek:
3. Aw shucks! :eek: Thanks!
4. Yes!
5. Yes!
6. Yes! :D
7. I must NOT be a peakbagger then! :D
9. Yes!
10. Yes!
11. Yes!

Brings back a memory of one winter hike into the Santanonis.

We topped out on the ridge with 50 foot visability, -5F and 25mph winds. 18" of fresh light powder (where it wasn't blown clear.) Bagged Panther to get our bearings and went lightly hypothermic while spending 20 minutes to find the canister that was 2" below the snowpack.

Went over to TS and looked off the mtn into the white clouds. Without a compass you couldn't even tell which way was up. My partner of several winter hikes turned to me and said, "I gotta confess, I'm not real good at map and compass." Fact is I was nervous too as I knew our asses were on the line.

Dropping 800 ft off the back side of Santa, in bad weather, can be a sobering experience. Not much room for error when bailing means climbing back over a mountain. ... and until you're there....

I find that the tough situations make the best memories. Sound like you guys got a few nice memories.

slamdog said:
And a dryer to dry all the wet gear, ...
There was a DRYER there? Shoot! And I spent sunday morning, putting on my wet stuff one piece at a time to use body heat to dry it.

A second call!!! Anyone have pictures from insida Aunt Polly's. I got home late last night, all broken and sore, and my camera has nothing on it but pictures of a couple younger woman. So, my wife is saying, "you come home broken and sore after running around with two younger women for the weekend, and you want sympathy?"

Pete_Hickey said:
There was a DRYER there? Shoot! And I spent sunday morning, putting on my wet stuff one piece at a time to use body heat to dry it.

A second call!!! Anyone have pictures from insida Aunt Polly's. I got home late last night, all broken and sore, and my camera has nothing on it but pictures of a couple younger woman. So, my wife is saying, "you come home broken and sore after running around with two younger women for the weekend, and you want sympathy?"

All I have to say is:

LOL!

and

ROTFLMAO!

To elaborate:

Yes, the dryer was in the room marked 'private', but the proprietor told us we could use the phone and the dryer. I guess not everyone got that message.

I'm not going to comment further on the 2nd paragraph... :D

Times Square Squared ??

It was just pointed out to me that there are in fact 2 times squares. I'm not exactly sure the orientation of the 2 clearings with respect to each other, but I now remember (20/20 hindsight is great, huh?!) that you attempt Couch and Santa from 'upper' times square, and Panther from 'lower' times square. At least, this is what I did a few summers ago, when I had no problems getting to all 3.

When I got to the clearing Saturday, I asked which one we were in and was assured that it was 'upper', but now I'm not too sure. (I was only ever in 1 clearing Saturday). Any one who was there care to comment?

The only clearing that I know of is at the top of the ridge (Times Square) where, on a GOOD day, you can see all the peaks. I did all 3 from the top of the ridge (TS).

Tom Rankin said:
Times Square Squared ??

It was just pointed out to me that there are in fact 2 times squares. I'm not exactly sure the orientation of the 2 clearings with respect to each other, but I now remember (20/20 hindsight is great, huh?!) that you attempt Couch and Santa from 'upper' times square, and Panther from 'lower' times square. At least, this is what I did a few summers ago, when I had no problems getting to all 3.

When I got to the clearing Saturday, I asked which one we were in and was assured that it was 'upper', but now I'm not too sure. (I was only ever in 1 clearing Saturday). Any one who was there care to comment?
At the risk of being scolded...

The first clearing you get to at the top of Panther Brook is the one that leads to Panther Mtn to your right (as you ascend) or to Times Square on your left. I have heard it referred to as Herald Square. The Herald Square clearing is surrounded by bush on all sides. No views. It is about 75 yards to Times Square from "Herald Square". There is also a false path, brushed out I think, that leads straight ahead to nowhere. I waypointed both squares if anyone wants them.

Neil said:
At the risk of being scolded...

The first clearing you get to at the top of Panther Brook is the one that leads to Panther Mtn to your right (as you ascend) or to Times Square on your left. I have heard it referred to as Herald Square. The Herald Square clearing is surrounded by bush on all sides. No views. It is about 75 yards to Times Square from "Herald Square". There is also a false path, brushed out I think, that leads straight ahead to nowhere. I waypointed both squares if anyone wants them.

The false path, brushed out if that is at Times Square, that used to be the original jump off point to Panther, until they "came up" with Herald's Square for the jump off to Panther when it was rerouted a couple/few years ago.

No reason for anyone to be scolded.
Conditions dictated that there was little room for error. There were enough "experienced" people out there and the fact that all turned back at some point tells me it was more about conditions than anything else.
Neil has Times Square/Herald Square right. Times Square now has a handmade sign pointing towards Couch.
My experience was a little different on Saturday since I didn't "need" (I hate that expression) any of the peaks. I may have felt different if I was more motivated to get those peaks but it was a great day to be out. The walk down from TS was one of the most serene I can remember. I can't wait to go back. FWIW I like to collect peaks but I don't like to put time frames on completing lists nor do I buy in to the "don't leave any stragglers" way of thinking. It's fine for other's so I'm not criticizing but I just don't mind going back.