Sawteeth 5/25/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotzman

Reaction score
Trails: Lake Road, Scenic, Weld
Hikers: Scotzman
Equipment: Sunglasses, Poles

I had been thinking of hitting the trails this day, as the forecast actually tempted me to break out the boots and start the summer season, when a friend mentioned to me Tuesday night that a group was going to do Sawteeth and that I should come. Well I was working late and they were leaving really early, so I didn't end up going with them but after a few extra hours of sleep I did jump in the Jeep and head north to the beautiful Adirondacks.

I signed in around 9am and the sun was just starting to burn through the clouds. When I got back to the trail junction I decided to head up the Scenic and then make the loop coming back down the Weld. Last time I had done this hike I had gone the opposite way, and if I was feeling up to it I could through in Gothics too. For all the snow and rain we've had I was actually very surprised by the relative dryness of the trail. :) Of course there is always some mud, but it wasn't any worse than the last time I had done it. As I was climbing I was thinking to myself, "self: the trail is in great shape, no blowdowns or anything!" Shortly after I passed the fourth lookout I discovered the reason why, three guys were doing some trail maintenance and removing said blowdown. Thanks fellas! :D Above where they had been, closer to the false summit I did encounter two good sized fir trees across the trail but I wouldn't think they will be there for much longer. All the ladders were in great shape also.

Upon reaching the top, I found the other group relaxing, having lunch. I joined them for the same and after enjoying the amazing views headed down the the col and off down the Weld. This trail is in great shape also. When stopping to check out the falls on the way down, I took a few extra minute to enjoy the view. The falls seemed even more beautiful than last I remembered. :cool:

I ran into several groups of people on the Lake road as I was jogging out but no deer, least none that I was aware of. Overall an very enjoyable hike and great time!