Sawteeth Mt With the Family, July 26, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKdremn

Reaction score
Every year we go on a vacation with my entire family....12 of us in all. Over the winter it was decided on that we'd be headed to the Berkshire Mountains, our first visit to this area. After a little research on my part I realized I was relatively "close" to the High Peaks. Considering I'm used to a 5-6 hour drive, 2.5 hours seemed like a hop, skip and a jump to get to my favorite place. So with that I started planning and scheming things in my head. I figured since I'd be so close I'd wait and pick the best weather day, something I never get to do. Plans are usually made and I go regardless. I've never been to Pyramid so I figured I'd make a loop out of the trip including Gothics. Then various family members caught wind of my plans...including my seven year old son Logan who asks if he can come on every trip I plan. I told everyone if they were intersted I'd be more than happy if they wanted to come. I figured I'd keep my plans and we could each do our own thing. I figured if I couldn't do the loop I'd at least come down the scenic trail to spice things up. In the end....this trip had nothing to do with me. But instead, the opportunity to share my love for these mountains with my family.
As of Sunday night, all I knew for sure was that it was me and Logan. My dad asked who was coming and I told him it looked like it was just me and Logan. He really wanted to come, but just hasn't been feeling that great physically lately. He ended up telling me later that he was going to make a go of it. My brother in law and brother eventually decided they were coming too even though they weren't too fond of the idea of a 5 a.m. departure on our first day of vacation.
For that matter, they weren't too excited about a 12+ mile hike either, but they wanted to be there for me anyway. I drug them up Phelps one other vacation and they don't have the fondest of memories of it!
So we all sleepily piled in the car and were off. The trip went quick with a short stop at exit 26 on the Northway for snacks and lunch. Before we knew it we were pulling into the Ausable Club trail head and were off. Things were going great and it was a beauty of a day! The road walk....well, it sucks! This was my first time on it during the summer months and for whatever reason it was not nearly as enjoyable as when I've been on it in the winter. The hustle and bustle of Club life, the bus roaring by and choking on dust, etc. My poor son, by mile three, had just about had enough. He firmly announced he'd rather be at the hotel swimming. Oh no, I thought....here we go. He was dragging and I started to worry that this was not going to go well. I really didn't know what to expect from him. I figured he'd be great or it would be a total nightmare. He just kept asking when we were going to get to the trail up the mountain. Honestly...I was wondering the same thing! We finally made it to the dam and took a nice break. Across that bridge and into the woods and BOOM he was a new kid! I asked if everyone wanted to see Rainbow Falls. I was greeted with....uh, lets stick to the quickest route up the mountain. I told them I was going and would catch up and they all ended up following me anyway. It was nice, but too early in the day for a rainbow. Up and up we went. Logan was loving it! Never a complaint and he was right up at the front. I was really excited, but at the same time didn't want to say anything and have him fall apart! Things went really great....we signed in at 8 and by 11:30 we were at the summit! I thought that was great time for a 7 year old, a 63 year old and two others not into hiking. Views were great and it was so great to be on the summit with my family. Had a great turkey club wrap from the gas station off exit 26. Logan pretty muched lived on Sweet-tarts for the day, but hey....whatever! At least he was happy. Down we went and before we knew it back at the dam for another break. Quite the hustle and bustle around there. Someone asked Logan if had been to Rainbow Falls....he proudly responded, "no, I went to Sawteeth!" You could tell the lady was obviously used to the bus rides by the look on her face. He also get yelled at by some grumpy old lady for throwing rocks in the lake! I had to bite my tongue on that one, but c'mon...seriously! He was all besides himself and obviously upset as he clung to my side. I just told him not worry about it that he had too great of a day to let someone ruin it for doing what boys do. Unfortunately we had another road walk in front of us. He was dragging again, but we just kept telling him we were almost to the dam so feed the trout again. FYI....the trout do not like Sweet-tarts or smokey bacon peanuts. I'm sure we would have been scolded for that too! He was dragging big time again until we figured out road soccer. Four of us stretched across the road kicking one rock ahead and trying to keep them from going off the road. This occupied us for about a mile until the grown ups were too tired for that! And with that, we were at the gate and down the hill to the parking lot shortly after 3. What a day!! It was so beautiful and great to be with the family. Three generations and a son in law all together on top of a beautiful mountain!
I will say, after seeing a 7 year old do that road walk, and how much it made him drag but he still perservered and did it, that if you've done any of those peaks without having to do that road walk.....THEY SHOULDN'T COUNT!!!:p

PICTURES

That trail up to the col betweet sawteeth and prymamid peak is one of the easiest on your feet of all the high peaks. But I agree, that 4 mile hike back down that road can wear on you. When I did sawteeth I went back on the river trail on the left side going back so I could see both falls. There was a lot of elevation gail I did not expect and I was wishing for the road at that point.:D