Sawyer pond campsite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardyb

Reaction score
I am planning a Carrigan hike on Sept 25, and I will be hiking in from the Kanc on the Sawyer pond trail on Friday afternoon on the 24. I have a couple of questions: 1st, what is the river crossing in the begining of the Sawyer pond trail like? is it a wading situation as the AMC guide book describes or there a way to cross on rocks? 2nd, is there going to be a problem getting a campsite at Sawyer Pond on Friday afternoon?

Unless you bring your own rocks, wading is in the future. I don't recall it being much more than 6 inches or so, but I imagine that will depend upon the rainfall/runoff situation. It is immediately at the start of the trail, so you just put your boots on on the other side of the Swift River to start your hike.

Yes, as maineguy said, you can plan on wading across this brook crossing, it wasn't bad...short & sweet.
We did it at the beginning of August & there hadn't really been any significant rain leading up to that day.

As far as securing a campsite goes, we also hiked there on a Friday, we got there around 12 - 1:00 and had our choice of spots. There was no one else there.

That soon changed~~

Sawyer Pond is really such a beautiful spot ! !
However, it is very accessible to a lot of 'non-hikers'
because it is so close (about 1 1/2 easy hiking miles) to Sawyer River Road (which you can dirve down).

It may be different now, because we went in the summer, but on a Friday night, you may want to plan on sharing your solitude with partiers & kids

<<<not that there's anything wrong with that>>>

Have a fantastic time!! Carrigain will be great!!

Last edited: