Seaching for Bigfoot on Bald Mtn and long lost Mt Whittier Cabin 5-9-2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
Our adventure this time took us to Tamworth NH to bushwhack Bald Mountain (Home of Bigfoot?) and Mount Whitter (Home of an abandoned slalom slope and ski cabin). It was a day of cool finds, but it didn’t start out that way.
While driving up to Tamworth, we got spotted in Moultonborough, NH. I wish I could say it was from our videos, but no it wasn’t, it was the local police that pulled us over for speeding. I didn’t agree with anything the officer said we were doing and neither did my wife of our friend that was in the car, but seeing how he ran my info and let me off with a warning, I couldn’t see the need to try and prove my innocence. Let’s just say I agree I may have been speeding, but it’s water under the bridge now. Lesson learned be very careful in Moultonborough. :eek:
On to Tamworth, we had seen a report by Rocket21 on Bald Mountain and Mt Whittier. He had found the long lost ski cabin, so we wanted to try our luck at it. We couldn’t find a place to park in the area he went in, so we headed to Gilman Valley Road and did the same mountains in reverse. We parked at the end of Gilman Valley Road and followed old logging roads until we started our bushwhack.
For the most part we encountered mostly open woods. Along the way, in our usual manner, we explored everywhere. That searching lead us to a prospecting site. The site had a 8+’ deep hole that had it not been full of water, we would have entered. :(  There were some sifting screens and the head of an old shovel at the site too along with a sample of quartz left behind.
From the site we continued on our bushwhack passing a pile of jumble rocks that could have been what Bigfoot used to build his hut mentioned in the Conway Daily Sun, but probably not.  Soon after we were standing on the viewless summit of Bald Mountain. We signed in at the jar, took a small break and continued on to Mount Whittier…we thought. There was a cairn before the summit (hidden by a fallen tree), one on the summit and one more past the summit. So we figured we’d follow the cairn, after a bit we realized that cairn pointed us in the wrong direction, so we backtracked to get on track.
Heading down into the col between Bald and Whittier was steep at times, but doable. The hike up Whittier seemed short and easy, until we got to the bumps, they were a bit on the steep side and every time we thought we found the high point we found another one higher. There is a sign in jar at the summit, so when you see it you know you are there.
The adventure continued on past the summit to find the long lost cabin. We had done considerable research, which is hard to come by, to pinpoint a general location. It paid off too, because we did find it. Not the easiest find though, but rewarding. :cool:
After that we skirted down the cone on Mount Whittier, following the saying that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. It was quicker, but challenging at some points due to the sheer drop and footing. Overall all though another great day of bushwhacking, although we do have our battle scars and did get a bit bloody!
We did post a video as usual for anyone interested in seeing the hike …

If the summit jar on Bald has signatures as far back as '09, mine would have been one. I had heard that it might be gone, but obviously not. I never noticed one on Whittier. I wonder why, as I don't think it's on any list, unlike Bald. The jumbly boulders around the Whittier summit were a pain, I thought.

If the summit jar on Bald has signatures as far back as '09, mine would have been one. I had heard that it might be gone, but obviously not. I never noticed one on Whittier. I wonder why, as I don't think it's on any list, unlike Bald. The jumbly boulders around the Whittier summit were a pain, I thought.
It appears the notebook and jars were recently put there on 4-4-15. The notebook said Whittier is on NH 2000 Footers. We didn't even know about that list. We agree with you about the boulders on Whittier being a pain. :)