Seascapes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like both the images. The composition of the sweeping curve is pleasant in both. I like the waves in the beach scene, and the rocky foreground in the pier photo.

Shooting these pictures at this time of the year can be difficult as the barren, stark foliage can look lifeless. But the composition keeps these pictures interesting. Would they be more interesting at a different time of year? Perhaps. It might be interesting to see how these images would look in black and white.

I like the second one better. Seeing it makes me want to be there.
168639941_7364859e1a.jpg

Mark Schaefer said:
I like both the images. The composition of the sweeping curve is pleasant in both. I like the waves in the beach scene, and the rocky foreground in the pier photo.

Shooting these pictures at this time of the year can be difficult as the barren, stark foliage can look lifeless. But the composition keeps these pictures interesting. Would they be more interesting at a different time of year? Perhaps. It might be interesting to see how these images would look in black and white.

Funny you should mention black and white. I've been playing with these and a few others from that day with different techniques for b/w conversion. Not sure which way I want to go yet.

Here's one of my wife on the beach that day that I did convert to b/w.

Brambor said:
I like the second one better. Seeing it makes me want to be there.

(image of fisherman with bent fly rod)

Now that's a picture I can appreciate!

On topic, I like the first picture better. I too like the curved nature, almost like a wraparound, all on the right. Even the tree branches follow that form. The second one has too much plain sky for my tastes. Or perhaps it is that the sky and the water are nearly the same color. I agree either might make an interesting B&W.

Tim

Mark Schaefer said:
Yes, I agree I prefer the black and white also. Since the colors were very subtle they did not add much information to the photos. In black and white I can appreciate the textures in the water, shore, and foliage better.
Oh well, I prefer the Color shot. And I really like that touch of snow!

The beach in winter can be a tough sell. Due to the lack of color, I prefer the black and whites, but there is a bit too much empty space for me. Perhaps a a more interesting sky would help.

- darren

Or even some beach bridges while we speak of structures, kmorgan:

2682518550096806265kjKzQy_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2166704420096806265rioVAp_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Edelweiss, The color is the water is pleasant, and you have an interesting lighthouse in the distance. For me the third picture is probably the most successful as we can see more of the lighthouse.

All of the pictures seem a bit empty without a strong subject. With larger rocks or bigger waves perhaps the shoreline could be the main subject. But because the waves and rocks are somewhat small in size it might be advantageous to have more elements in the foreground (for example a boat, vegetation, or people). That bench with all the rope might be more interesting if we could see more of it. However, the top coincides with the shoreline and it is nearly the same color as the rocks so it does not stand out well. If you stooped down a bit you could raise to the top above the shoreline.

In the first picture you have some suspended tree branches on the far right. Rather than leaving those branches hanging, you should make a decision to include more of that tree, or eliminate it entirely. The lower tree appears to have some flowers or birds in it. If you get closer to that tree, enough to see what it holds, it might provide an interesting foreground.

Thanks for your comments, Mark. I cropped the hanging tree limbs in the first pic after uploading it into the Kodak Gallery so the shot now looks tidier. I should have been more patient and waited for more dramatic waves, and I like your idea of taking the third pic from a lower angle and maybe pulling back a bit to get more of the bench, vines/rope, and green vegetation. My son would have been an interesting subject as well, but by the time we reached this spot he was anxious to get to a restaurant for dinner. Oh well!
Again, I appreciate the expert advice offered so freely to novices like myself. Within the next year I hope to move into the world of digital SLR's, so far removed from my little Nikon Coolpix 4300. I'm excited at the possibilities and you can be sure that I will come back frequently to this forum for more suggestions.

Joanne