Seeking Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
Fellow Climbers, When I lived in NY I was able to climb about 2/3rds of the 46. I hope to return over the Labor Day Weekend, flying from Kansas on Friday, hiking Saturday & Sunday, and returning on Monday. I have 15 peaks left: the 4 Sewards, 3 Santanonis, Basin/Haystack, Skylight/Gray, Marshall, Cliff/Redfield, and Allen. I know the days will be fairly short by Sept. Because I'm flying, I'll only bring gear for day hikes rather than overnighters. I'm looking for suggestions on the best use of my available 2 days. Assuming the fall is generally dryer than it may be next spring when I return, I'm thinking there may be some benefit to doing now what may be very muddy (or even advised against by DEC) next spring. I'm leaning toward the Santanonis or Skylight/Gray one day and Marshall the next. I'd appreciate any suggestions, along with average hiking times and some insight for getting to/from the peaks from Times Square. Additionally, regarding Skylight/Gray, I'd appreciate any thoughts for the best (fastest) trailhead (Loj vs Upper Works) and route. Thanks in advance- Schatz

If your objective is to get the most peaks - then you could hike from Upper Works, climb Marshall via Herbert Brook, then set -up base camp at uphill lean-to. Cliff, Redfield, Gray, and Skylight are all acessible from there. It is very ambitious, however, to get all 5 in 2 days. You could skip Marshall and just concentrate on the other 4, or leave Marshall for last.

Check the trip reports section, someone just posted a similar trip.

If you PM me your email address I can send you a digital photo of "Time Square" in the Santanonis with the herd paths marked.

Good Luck - I'm attempting my 46th (Allen) this weekend.

KZ