Semi-Annual Redlining Contest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this past weekend I hiked two NH4s for the umpteenth time and in the process redlined about 0.5 mi of trail. So, name the two peaks and the trail for a free Pemi Pale Ale at Woodstock Station, at my convenience.

Two more great guesses on the peaks. But, I am confused about the Scaur Trail, which is 1.2 mi and a bit out of the way for the Osceolas. Also, what is the Monoway? I have lots of redlining awaiting me in the northern Presi's, including the Pine Link, which has a 0.5 mi segment near the summit of Madison.

Last edited:
How about North and South Kinsman from the new parking lot via the Mt Kinsman trail?

Last edited:
Thanks Thom! Looking forward to a free beer!

Haven't seen you since Middle Carter and Lethe this winter. We'll be in touch.

Another Round of a Redlining Contest

Perhaps John of J&J will hold off for 24 hours to give others a chance, as he is on a roll. :) As always, a Pemi Pale Ale for the winner (I owe John a few already).

So, this past Thursday, July 7th, 2011, I hiked about 20 miles (+/-0.5 mile), bagged four NH4s, and redlined 1.4 miles. Name the four peaks, but more important the redlined trail. Hard to believe that I had missed this one.

Perhaps John of J&J will hold off for 24 hours to give others a chance, as he is on a roll. :) As always, a Pemi Pale Ale for the winner (I owe John a few already).

So, this past Thursday, July 7th, 2011, I hiked about 20 miles (+/-0.5 mile), bagged four NH4s, and redlined 1.4 miles. Name the four peaks, but more important the redlined trail. Hard to believe that I had missed this one.

No takers? Hey, John, you have given everyone a fair amount of time, so go for it! I will check thread when back on computer late tomorrow night before I leave for Switzerland and TMB on Thursday morning.

How about Zealand, West Bond, Bond and Bondcliff with the redlined trail being the Zeacliff trail which is a very cool trail isn't it.

Thom- Gary H. and Susan H. are just wrapping up the TMB in ten days as I type.

John

Last edited:
How about Zealand, West Bond, Bond and Bondcliff with the redlined trail being the Zeacliff trail which is a very cool trail isn't it.

John

Close enough; John wins another Pemi Pale Ale! I actually hiked the loop over the Twins, Zealand, and Hale (down Fire Wardens Trail), and included a descent of Zeacliff Trail. Amazing that I had not hiked Zeacliff before, as I worked at Zool hut for part of a summer, but at that time I was more focused on packing heavy loads, cooking meals at the hut, etc. Also, I have hiked or x-c skied through Zealand Notch over three dozen times, looked up at the route from the sign junction each time, and just moved on. Zeacliff is a real "throwback" trail, as it is not heavily used and reminds me of trail conditions in the 60s and 70s.

Many of the winter employees at Zool b/c ski this side of Zeacliff, which is heavily forested with birch. A lot of these birch trees are dying now, but according to Dave Govatski and Steve Smith, not necessarily because of the January 1998 ice storm, but rather these trees are reaching the end of their natural lives. White birch colonized many areas of the Whites soon after clear cutting in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Lots of large birch trees also have fallen across Hale's Fire Warden's Trail, a premier b/c skiing area in the Whites.

Once again, congrats to John, who must be closing in on his Whites redlining completion?

What's that now, Thom? Four beers I've won? These are going to taste really good. Maybe we'll cash them in after your TMB trip. We're interested in the TMB and need some advice. Also, yes getting really close, double digits left.