Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
I have a chance to visit this area for a few days from the west side. I will probably be doing day hikes, no overnights. I was wondering if anyone has some good beta on hikes or any good trail guides/maps. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

Sorry, I can't answer your questions directly, but I can tell you that Sequoia National Park is an amazing place! Some of the "tourist" spots are worth dealing with the crowds to see. You must see General Sherman, General Grant and do the climb up the side of Morro Rock. Supposedly, on a clear day from the top of Morro Rock you can see another huge rock called...you guessed it, Morro Rock...that sits in the Pacific ocean. There's also the fallen giant redwood that you can drive your car onto the top of, and the one you can drive your car through. I used to live out there and I regularly took rides up to the park. It was before my "serious" hiking days, so I unfortunately missed a lot the park has to offer.

Have a great time, and post lots of reports and pics please:D.

Here's a cool interactive link...

Sequoia and Kings NP are now in my proverbial backyard, but I haven't had time to explore them yet and give you some personal favorites. However, whenever I ask about them here, people always say "Check out Mineral King" so I'll pass that along to you.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, one other question: Is anyone familiar with Mitchell Peak? We're thinking of spending one night of decadence at the Sequoia High Sierra Camp.

One of the hikes is Mitchell Peak and I can't seem to find much info on it. My buddies 2 hiking books make no mention of it.

Thanks,

Glenn

Edit: I just cheded out the interactive map, very nice. Thanks Tmax.

Last edited: