Seward - only (Adirondacks) May 1-2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
I want to finish my 46 on Emmons in a couple months, so for this hike, I want to go up Seward without continuing on to the other two peaks in the range.

We could go up either side; Ward Brook Truck Trail or Calkins Brook... I'm leaning toward the Ward Brook side. If we go up there, we might camp at the lean-to after the climb. I'm a slow but steady hiker. This will be a wet hike, I think. At least it was wet in November when I hiked up Seymour.

My last trip to the Sewards didn't go very well (don't ask); help me make this one a success! -ALGonquin Bob

if you're coming in from coreys and hitting ward brook that way which I am guessing you are, I don't know if the road will be open. the families that have camps in there have let it be known that they would like the gate kept closed at the sping until after memorial day from now on due to what they say are locals ruining the road by driving in to fish and hike in mud season.

might wanna call dec first to see if that is open before heading in there, or plan on a muddy start up the road?

we need those too!

Hey Bob,

We need the entire Seward range for our 46 too. We were hoping to do them and finish our 46 by mid May (we have one other hike besides the Sewards--we are leaving Haystack for last). It would be great if we can join in a couple of weekends.

I'll keep checking the forum for any updates!

Thanks,
Mark and Kelly

p.s. I just figured out private messaging the other day and saw your replies for the Santanoni's :rolleyes: sorry I didn't post back to your private messages.

M&K: That's all right. I finally got Santanoni a couple weeks ago. After this weekend's Hough hike, I'll concentrate on the details for hiking Seward the following weekend. If we go up Seward from the Ward Brook truck trail, we can at least do ONE peak together.

Doug: I'm going up late on the 30th, so I'll look for you at my usual time: Midnight. -ALG (Bob)

Last edited:
I'll be in or near a little blue subaru legacy, with a rack on top. What's the hike plan? I need seward and seymor, and hope to get both that weekend.

i'm on my way up to the sewards in mid May....

46 it will be

pete

AlpineSummit said:
Hey Hillman...

You can get 'em both in a day - no problems.

Would you take snowshoes this saturday?

I'm bringing snowshoes and crampons. I might try for both on saturday, but I might sleep there and get one sunday. If I bag both on saturday, I would like to get something else on sunday. Possibly whiteface and esther.

To get from Seward to Seymour or vice versa would you go all the way down and then up or can you go straight across?

I'll be hiking seward, then heading back down it, and climbing seymor alone, people may have done that bushwack, but I am not up to that. I'm hoping for bluebird skies and gentle breezes. ALG--see you there saturday morning.

Snowshoes are still a must-have this weekend. I was up in the Dixes Sunday, and plenty of crummy snow there. With the warm temps, the snow will be very soft. Crampons... maybe.

Seymour is a stand-alone peak; you go up and down the same path, then head back on the Ward Brook trail toward the Seward herd path. I expect to stay at the Blueberry lean-to Saturday night after hiking up Seward. -ALG

Have I got this figured right? The road in to the Seward Range is not passable beyond the bridge over Stoney Brook. From there its a 3 mile walk to the summer trailhead. Then there's about 5 milesto cover to get to the trail to Seward for a round trip of 16 miles excluding the actual climb?

Yep, that's about it. The hike back to the lean-to is fairly easy, though long. That's why I'm staying over one night at the Blueberry lean-to after the climb. -ALG

Last edited:
ALG--I won't be able to get there until about 1am on friday night--so I'll try to be quiet pulling in to not wake you. Also, my car is in the shop, so I'll be in a silver wagon(the one I couldn't use last time...).

Are you guys sure that all this hot weather isn’t going to make going up the Sewards a bit rough?